Sunday 22 December 2013

eskapade 22/12/13

There aren't many things that would get me out my bed before dawn after a few hard days work. The Eskapade is one though. It was the inspiration to get the work completed so I could join my Carnethy pals for an upstream journey run from the estuary in Musselburgh to the pub in Carlops

After some early rain the day started well. I arrived at the estuary about 8.15 and rather than stand around getting cold I ran round the lagoon path for a mile to keep warm


Over 40 were taking part, some doing the first section only, others joining later.

We certainly didn't do any of this, regularly.


Although a fair bit of the first few miles were around the Dalkeith Country Park most of the route and actual paths were new to me.


Like myself, Craig and Kate are also fans of Carnethy days out. Also attending were fellow Porties, Kathy and Graeme who have been doing Carnethy lunchtime training sessions.





Thanks to Kathy for taking this photo.

Someone asked was this an arty shot I was taking? Yes sir!

Queue for the toilet.

We didn't do this either.

Nor this.

Various wee short cuts would make this a tricky route to remember and repeat.



The river was just low enough to get along the low path with mostly dry feet.

Roslin Castle.




2 bacon rolls and tea and coffee for a fiver pre-arranged in the Royal in Penicuik. Spot on!

It was sleeting heavily just before we left the hotel and the afternoon definitely got darker.



Dusting of snow on the Pentlands behind.



The snow came on just as we were finishing.

Carlops

pub: perfect end to a great day out.
Several Garmins measured 23.8miles from start to finish, mostly off road. I did a couple before and after. Got dropped off (many thanks Charlotte and Allan) at the Commie Pool and ran the last 2 home. Brilliant antidote to the spam of christmas! Many thanks Willie G for organising. Top run and great company.


No comments:

Post a Comment