Tuesday 3 July 2018

7 Hills


I nearly didn't do this race. Hoy Half was the same weekend (17th June) and we were going to drive up for that. When Mary got too crocked to race I was glad I had bought a just-in-case-place for the 7 Hills. And luckily we were able to pack up our engraved age group trophies and pass them to Kate and Craig who were going North for Hoy. Interestingly they (K&C) had left their trophies on Hoy last year wanting neither the engraving cost (usually £12~£15) nor the obligation to return or send the trophies through the post. Organisers take note, most runners who regularly win trophies (and it does tend to be the same runners who regularly win trophies) would rather have a bottle of nice wine than an engraving cost and obligatory return. Just saying!


Anyway Mary pointed out the 7 Hills was fast approaching (ie next weekend) and I realised I didn't have much time to train. It can be a hellish race if you don't get a bit of training in and then try to go at the same speed as usual with the sun blasting down and all. I seem to remember something like this last year and was perturbed to notice my time was 2.04.55 and hoped that was a blip rather than the new norm. Oops best get some training in.

So I went to club on Wednesday and ran quite hard with Craig's group doing a bit of a recce on the ascent of Arthur's Seat and some of the boundary. I forgot to check whether the turnstile in Pollock Halls was surmountable.

On Thursday the Carnethy hill session was also 7 Hills themed, although it is usually of that nature. Forgot to check the turnstile climb and just how much barbed wire has been used to decorate the top of the wall.

Then on Friday I marked the end of a couple of weeks working at BenandAlison's by going for a run along the beach with Ben. I said I was aiming for the 7.04 train and (being about 5.45 when we set off) asked to do 45mins to an hour of running. Which would give me time to change, wash my face and load up my bike with painty kit to get 3 mins round to the train station. Really, I should know better than leave this stuff to Ben who (ok I admit it, very much like myself) likes to push time envelopes right up to the no-margin-for-error squeak. His MO does tend to be running late but you will always get an email or text apologising and telling you when he will be arriving. However that doesn't cut the mustard with the train timetables and since B&A were leaving to celebrate their anniversary (hurray! smiley face and party popper streamers) in Aberlady I couldn't exactly run a bath and pour a beer while I waited in their (newly painted) house for the next train. Well actually I could and they would have happily poured me that beer, but sometimes on a Friday you just want to get home and flop asleep in front of the tv. (Weirdly that evening was the first of the week I hadn't nodded off on the train ride home.) (Adrenaline.) 


So as we go past mile 4 and we are STILL heading away from NB I am hoping Ben has a plan for bending the space time continuum and returning by a shorter route than the one we came. Eventually we turn. The run has been fairly relaxed up until this point and just wall-to-wall chitchat. I haven't seen anything of Ben in ages and there is much to catch up on. 






Shortly after this field crossing there is a straight road back into NB. I have been looking at my watch and alarmed at how quickly the minute hand is sweeping up towards 7. The train is 7.04. Time to light the blue touch paper. I press on and it is warm. Ben is just behind at my shoulder and the chat, for the first time, stops. At the top of the road Ben says it's quicker to the right. I try to go faster still. I can't see how I can make the train even if Alison has my bike stood ready at the front door. It is not. It is in the back garden padlocked and needs to be loaded with pannier bags full of brushes and rollers. I think I managed in-and-out in 2.5mins and am leaving the house at 7.01. I get to the train and lift my bike on with about 45 secs to spare. It is not the closest shave I've had catching the train in the last fortnight: there was one evening I spent too long chatting as I was leaving and the guard had to wait as I ran along the platform to the bike carriage. (Red face sorry emoji.)



So, what with a day doing nothing on Saturday (taper) those 3 days got me fit enough to take 9 minutes (nearly 10) off last year's time. Actually I suspect the weather was the big difference. I seem to remember last year being HOT and steamy. This year was nicely overcast. Also I was trying to pace it better than my usual start-fast-then-crash-and-burn strategy I usually employ. Rich had said in training he sauntered round in about 2hrs and was thinking about aiming to duck under the 2hrs. I expected to see him saunter past in the last mile or 2, just cruising past. Wouldn't be the first time. (He didn't, but wasn't far off and ran 1.57 so exactly as planned. (Congrats to him and Kate on selling their flat and moving to the new place - when's the BBQ?)


Tyr's look of surprise
- isn't that the tradesman that was in our place, painting?


I was fairly sure about most the route. I have yearly coasters from the early 2000s around the house after all. However the second hill, Corstorphine, I always mean to check out and absolutely nail the descent. And yet never do (it's the other end of town from Leith). However I saw Graeme F of CAAC and knew he'd know the best line being a local. Earlier Johnny had mentioned  going right of the fenced off bit then left at a corner. Graeme went this way and I was about 10 yards behind. It followed twisty trails and came out to the right of Kaimes Road top which meant not taking the dirt path I usually run. But about as good an option as I have ever taken. Thanks Graeme!


Carnethy: first team

Porty: second team


Ladies team

Rhona f45 trophy


Rab m50 trophy (and 4th!)


Graeme 3rd m50


Willie new m60 record
 
Nicola, controversially a dog for first prize
(Ha, just kidding)


Johnny 3rd overall!


Liam 2nd!


Dessie wins again!


After Corstorphine it all begins to blur. However none of the hills seemed as awful as they can be in the hot sun and I realised I was ticking off all the familiar sights and it was all going remarkably ok. I could feel the first snakes of cramp twitch and jerk in my legs towards the end but less bad than usual. I ran most of the route with Craig, and it was encouraging to run together: we both swore in unison as the lights changed at Tollcross, but got off lightly when the traffic slowed to let us through. We both enjoyed taking 75 yards off the Corstorphine boys at Hermitage when we cut left early then down the zig-zags, up the dirt slope and across the field before the runners who had been ahead. Craig pulled away heading up the road to the student halls but I cut the corner through the halls and we climbed either side of the turnstile (still just do-able) together. He got away again going up A's Seat but we summited closely and then took a similar route off down the steep side. 

He pulled away on the last hill up to the start/finish and really should have been on the Porty A team, finishing ahead of me, and Josh, who enjoyed it but found it harder than a normal road race. When choosing teams both Craig and I had shied away from the first team. I was pleased to get another towel though - I use them at work and when outdoor swimming.

Afterwards everyone went to the pub to celebrate Willie's 60th. He had set a new m60 record and wore his I am 60 badge with pride. Even though I was kind of dreading this race (it is not a walk in the park) I really enjoyed the whole business and big thanks to Alan Lawson for putting it on year after year and making sure it all runs smoothly. Great event, with its own unique feel and challenges.


Happy 60th Willie!


No comments:

Post a Comment