Friday 24 May 2024

longhorn moths

 

12-05-24
Last year about now I came across Longhorn Moths in Warriston cemetery. They are tiny moths with ridiculously long antennae (or horns) and fly in May. Although so small I can hardly see them in detail they have charming flight patterns, the males battling with each other or appearing to compete in aerial jousting competitions. It makes for a small but delightful spectacle. I was concerned I couldn't find any in early May in the same bushes and trees as last year.

chaffinch having a bath near the tunnel

I was quite tired today. I recognised this when someone's spaniel rushed past and chased off the chaffinch while I was taking photos. I (silently) wished all sorts of unreasonable punishment on the dog and owner and realised I wasn't full of the milk of human kindness on this occasion. Probably just a bit tired and cranky. It was yet another average dull day, and here we were nearly halfway through the year. Why do I live in a drab and lifeless country? 




I struggled to find things of interest to photo. The bullfinches are out and courting and seem susceptible to a bit of whistling. Their call is simple enough to mimic, and being a social bird (does the male collect a harem of females?) tends to come over if you whistle their call. This one was feeding a female, presumably a precursor to mating.




dunnock

speckled wood

I have to watch taking pics of speckleds. The camera recognises they are an animal and puts a box around them but often then focusses on the wing eye spots and not the actual eyes, which can be problematic. First world problems indeed!



I was pleased at last to find some longhorns. They were on a sycamore near the East Gate and not near the tunnel where they were last year. Maybe they move around. The downside was they were about 12' off the ground and no good for close ups and macro. Curses. I wondered about bringing a ladder along but the thought of trying to balance on the fourth top step of a 10' ladder while trying to focus the macro lens on these lively characters sent shudders. Not happening. Several people have posted close ups, so I just have to find a colony that are less high-rise. Hasn't happened so far and I hope I come across some before their season is over. They are fascinating and elusive and I didn't have the macro lens last year. I just hope they have survived all the recent rain. Meanwhile I was able to shoot film (and some stills) of them in the distant sycamore leaves. Not absolutely satisfying and I feel there is unfinished business here. 



they fly suspended like puppets or crazy B movie bats

a holly blue also keeping its distance up the sycamore


nomad bee

orange tip female

red campion

fed the crows and went home




No comments:

Post a Comment