Thursday 23 May 2024

greens and emperors pt 2

 

11th May
I felt I hadn't had much success with the green hairstreaks last attempt and needed to give it another go if the weather seemed suitable. I got lucky on the 11th as it seemed to be set fair and warm. In fact it turned out a little too warm and everything was a bit lively, but I just about got away with it. Certainly I enjoyed it more than the previous trip when the hairstreaks were unusually low in number.

Bonaly: up the path above the car park

I'm not sure why Mary opted out of this one, she might have chosen to go a long cycle or had something else on. She knew the venue and formula as we'd tried this a year ago with minimal success; it was a bit early in the year and suboptimal weather. The year before that, I'd gone myself and had great success. So this year I was back on my own, and I chose Bonaly, partly because of the success here 2 years ago. But also because pals Simon and Richard had had an altercation with a Mr Angry over at the firing range about being on Castlelaw when red lights were flashing ie the military were using the firing range next door. He wasn't actual military himself but an interested party and sounded unpleasantly rabid. Rather than cycle all the way to Castlelaw and find red flags flying I opted for a cowardly but lepidoptary rich Bonaly. 

loads of common heath moths (m)



As well as my back pack full of camera equipment and snacks I carried a cool bag from Lidl. It was silver lined (every cool bag has a silver lining?) and was to be moth jail (literally cooler) for the emperors. I put the pheromone lure out (contained in that green midge net) so the male emperor moths would think a female was there. They have very sensitive antennae and within 3~4 mins of the lures being waved on the top of a rise, a small flock of emperors appeared. This is pretty much the only way to get close to these fast flying beauties and I don't do this more than once in the same location as I am making them use vital energy that could be better spent chasing real female moths. When they arrive I catch one or 2 in transparent tumblers with screw tops and put them in the cool bag which has a lower temperature courtesy of ice pouches (sports injury cooling pads) in the bottom of the cool bag. The theory is after a few minutes, the dark and cold has cooled them down and they will sit still for photos before flying off uninjured.







In practice this was less calm and much more chaotic. The moths would come out the cooler less fluttery but after about 7 seconds in the warm air they would look around and fly off. Byeee! I didn't have the heart to leave them cooling for any length of time.

briefly sedated moth


forewing trailing edge at full magnification


The good thing was there was no shortage of moths. Some arrived and seemed to understand the lack of female and fly off immediately. Others hung around like love-sick zombies, and there was a large mix in between. Some would find a stalk of grass nearby and make that home. This was the best option as I didn't have to Cosby them for photos. Mary's term. And she is right; it is taking advantage without consent. 



I seem to have got the day right. Loads of moths appeared - maybe between 15 and 20 over 2 hours - although I had to put the lure away much of the time as there were too many being drawn to one area which would not help them find an unattached mate afterwards, their sole purpose. 



I got the best photos from ones that would settle nearby, which I was able to approach and photograph. I only used the macro lens all day today so had to get within inches. And I found it was just possible to very carefully remove stray stems of grass (in the way of the photo) if I was very careful, without chasing off the snoozing moth. Any sudden change of position or nudge and they were off. 







While removing a stray blade of grass behind this one I touched it in the back with the stem. It opened its wings to show the eye spots underneath, on the hind wings. I had never noticed this defence mechanism in action in Emperors before. 
I thanked them for their inadvertent help and modelling and wished them well, going down the hill to look for green hairstreaks.


dark tussock moth caterpillar

video of dark tussock haring along



After the triumph of the emperors I felt I had much less success with the green hairstreaks. I suspect all the wet weather around the time they normally emerge can't have helped numbers and there weren't as many in the swamp basin below the pylon than there has been in previous years. Also trying to use the macro lens meant getting really close. Which is much more tricky. That said, the results are better than using a telephoto because you get more details. However there were not many specimens about (and some were a bit worn) and when the sun went behind a cloud they mysteriously vanished until the sun reappeared. Others have reported fewer GHs in the usual spots as well. 



While I was busy photographing hairstreaks this emperor (obviously picking up lure residue on my hands or packs) swooped in for a chat. It stayed suspended in the grass for long enough to get a few close ups. I focussed in on those amazing antennae which reveal rows of two stems coming out each antler, with a very fine column of black hair between the 2. Amazing! It also slightly spoiled my hairstreak photos as the greenie jumped up and chased the much larger moth as it flew away. 







This green bottle landed on my shoe which wasn't the easiest place to get its photo. I had to open the screen as I wasn't limber enough to look through the EVF while bending double and getting the camera down next to my shoe.





While the sun was shining this single small copper came out. I had seen it earlier but failed to get any decent shots. This time it landed on the bog cotton but I wasn't quite at the right angle and had to swim through the tussocks keeping down low. If I'd stood up and walked over, the giant shape looming above it would have sent it flying off in a second. I wondered about how many ticks I was collecting. Can't remember if I wore repellent on this trip.

I come home with fewer ticks if I wipe my legs before the trip with Smidge or similar. If I fail to see them they become incredibly itchy 24 hrs later. I have no idea how they can hold on and survive a long hot shower, but they can.





As the sun began to lose out to the clouds I decided to pack up and head home. I had spend 2 hrs on emperors and nearly the same on hairstreaks. I knew the results were better for the former, the hairstreaks weren't very fresh and there weren't many about and I was flagging despite the sandwiches. 

I was glad to find my bike where I'd padlocked it - hidden by the trees near Bonaly car park. Bumped into Andy out running (again) and I really enjoyed the cycle home. Another successful day out!

last common heath

a birder who might have been sung to sleep by a nearby cuckoo
who had been serenading us all afternoon - what could be better?


(14 hilly miles cycled, 44mins up, 40mins down)
2 miles walked in just under 4hrs









No comments:

Post a Comment