Friday 24 May 2024

eider mayfly bullhead

 

15th May



Halfway through May seems like a suitable time to post a photo of a mayfly. I was pleased to catch this - not sure why the camera so easily focussed on the fly and not the background. I must have been doing something clever! Bolstered by this I am going to go out on a limb and suggest it is a Small Spurwing Mayfly because that is the one in the giant book of insects that it looks most like. However there are 38 to choose from so it is more likely not. 



So what was I doing down the Water of Leith? I was looking for goosanderlings. They are super cute especially when they climb on their mum's back. I have seen more downstream of St Mark's park than up, so I headed downstream to see if I could spot any. The only goosanders (geesander?) I could see had either dropped the kids off at the sitter or were, as yet, chickless. How annoying! Fate, by way of compensation, handed me eiders. The first pair were upstream of Sandport Place, the third last bridge across the WoL. I can't recall ever seeing Eiders on the WoL before. They are an odd looking but beautiful duck and I was surprised and pleased to have some to photograph.



eiders - f and m









The next one was a solo male and sleepily sitting near the restaurant boat at 'the shore.' The water around it was still making an ace photo. But it got a bit wary of my company even though I tossed it some bread, and then it swam off. Not in a huge hurry. The first pair had come over when I threw bread, suggesting they have learned the way of the town ducks, such as the goosanders. 



mallard chick

female eider


male eider

I went downstream, over the bridge at Ocean Drive and back round to Commercial Street. There were a small gang of eiders maybe six or seven, and I threw some bread for them. They were straight over and earned their snacks by doing lots of handsome posing for the camera and some of that ooooh-ing they are famous for. If you have never heard it it is quite unlike other duck calls. Very like a human expressing surprise and disdain when hearing salacious gossip. They also had some funky moves not unlike goldeneyes who have a mating ritual of throwing their heads rearward onto their backs. Luckily for your pleasure I caught this on video. Someone in the flats above obviously encouraged them too, as a window opened and a handful of what looked like dog treats or cat snacks landed in the water beside them.

eider with pet snacks




eider drake displaying - oooh!


Mrs. and Mr.



After the eider encounter which I found totally enchanting - and all the better for being unexpected - I went back upstream, still hoping to meet some goosander chicks. On the way I saw this rather squalid moorhen nest. I think they really don't give a shit and are in no way houseproud. It may well serve them well as often their nests just look like mum is sitting upon a pile of rubbish. This nest was right at the side of the river and I was able to drop a couple of pieces of bread practically into the beak of Mrs. M. who gobbled it up enthusiastically. However that drew a solo male goosander over to see if there was any scran to be had. Mr Moorhen who was scavenging downstream shot upstream and chased off the goosander despite the size differential.


red eye and plastic beak

It's probably as well the moorhens don't have much of an aesthetic sense as their chicks have a vulture-like unloveliness about them when young. Kinda cute, but kinda ugly.



male mooren sees off male goosander


chaffinch with a bill for insects


At Powderhall I went along the road to see if the kingfisher was there. (Rather than climb down the bridge and into Warriston.) It wasn't, but a goosander female was fishing and caught several bullheads in a couple of minutes. Good to see the river full of fish and the goosander catching them adeptly. Bullheads or Miller'sThumbs are also popular with kingfishers and otters.


goosander catching 2 bullheads


Warriston was quite busy with butterflies which was a pleasant surprise. One of the resident commas was near the tunnel, there were a few orange tips looking for love, and a cracker of a red admiral. It wasn't as fresh as black, brand new looking as the one the other day at Aberlady; instead a rich warm brown colour and looked like it might have travelled from elsewhere to get here. It was a complete delight and swooped round a few times landing on several plants including the fading bluebells. Giving me time to line up a couple shots. Great finish to rather fine afternoon!






This might look like a loving couple of orange tips however he (on the right) was hassling the hell out of her just moments ago before he was put in his place. I think he might be trying the softly softly approach now but I don't fancy his chances!



and they all lived happily ever after, the end







No comments:

Post a Comment