Thursday 9 September 2021

scotch argus at the rickety fence

 

4th August
This has become something of an annual pilgrimage - to see the Scotch Argus butterfly in Melrose, one of the nearest places to find it. The site, next to Melrose golf course, has become known as the rickety fence due to an elderly wooden structure that marks an old boundary at the foothills of the Eildons. I had earmarked a sunny day (5 days later than last year) and it was dangerously good weather: last year (blog here) the sunshine gave me big problems as the butterflies overheated, then wouldn't stay still. Instead they dived into the long grass and refused to play ball, and I felt properly defeated even though I managed to get a few reasonable images. This year the weather was nearly the same, however, being armed with a better camera with more zoom, meant I could shoot from further away. This year's images are worth comparing with last; it shows the benefit of a quality camera under nearly exact conditions. Which is not to say I found it easy!

lovely weather - but too nice?

female and male together

I catch the train to Tweedbank, the last station on the borders line. From here it is about a 3 mile run - mostly uphill - to the rickety fence. In fact I was paying so little attention I ran past the unmarked opening about a quarter mile, before I realised I had gone too far. The path cuts across the golf course then dips down a small overgrown path before climbing up slightly towards Mid Hill and the fence. I had met a few Scotch Argus before I even crossed the fence, including the above photo which shows female and male perched upon a thistle. A good start, as often I have little clue telling the sexes apart unless they are side by side. Females are lighter in colour and have a more curvy body shape. Which isn't always obvious. 

the rickety fence



Above the fence line the grass is long and these black velvety specimens spend most of their time hiding in it. I'm uncertain if it is behaviour local only to this site as I have seen other SAs on the other side of the country sitting on top of roadside ragwort, posing happily for the camera, in large groups!

On the positive side though, there are dozens of them, perhaps hundreds, constantly flying up from grass. It is just the getting-near-for-a-photo that is almost impossible. So much so that in no time, I have become distracted and am taking pics of the other butterflies; peacocks, small torts, and hoping for common blues and commas. No sign of, as yet.

peacock

buzzard

small tortoiseshell




However over the next 2hrs I begin to get better pics. One will fly up onto a thistle and I'll get a few shots before it realises I am creeping closer. Or one will settle on a thistle leaf with wings open and due to the x20 zoom I can stay back far enough not to disturb it. Highlight of the session is coming across 2 mating. I accidentally disturbed them while trying to get photos of a crane fly nearby. They struggled to dive into the grass due to being conjoined, and seem to be making such a kerfuffle of it that I was able to lift them very gently out and up onto a flowerhead where they settled nicely. I got decent photos, showing again the difference between male and female, (not much!) 

Then while I was walking around I came across first a male then another female, both in a similar position and showing their upper wings. It is almost easier to judge their gender by body shape than by colour: male, straight-bodied; female, with oval shaped abdomen, 




common blue with punch hole in forewings!



crane fly

mating pair beside crane fly



female and male

male

female




Then, to perfectly round off the day, a couple of commas appeared. Lisa (on ESB) had mentioned that there were several commas about the rickety fence, although up until about 1.30pm there had been no sign. Also a large white appeared. All drawn to the flowering thistles which had grown where gorse had been removed last year. 


large white






I had made a note of return train times. The last 2 times I visited here I have enjoyed a circuit round Mid Hill and then done a local tour taking in a dragonfly pond. However today I suddenly felt my day was complete, my tick list full and there was no real need to go for a few more miles under a roasting sun. In fact if I headed back to the station now I had more than half an hour to do the (just under) 3 mile run. Then the smarter of the 2 commas reappeared on the thistles. All my plans went out the window as I raised the camera again and a while later I realised I might have blown catching the 2.30 as I had something like 22minutes now to do the 3miles (in reality 2.72miles). Which was really pushing it. I packed the camera away and remembered the first mile or more (after getting back to the road) was downhill - and such a steep gradient I could possibly make some decent time on it. I have to say I really enjoyed belting down the big hill and watching my watch go faster than it does at parkrun. However the road flattens and even rises slightly and the train departure time was getting perilously close. 


these photos might have cost dearly


I went through various emotions of "I'll never make it" to "maybe it will still be at the platform when I cross the last road" really not knowing if I was going to make it, or (more likely) going to wander back into Melrose to kill an hour till the next train. I cursed myself for being distracted by a comma, and one which I already had photos of. I punished myself by running harder than seemed possible. At least it was good training. There has been little or no reason to really thrash myself during the last covid-cancelled year and there is an enjoyable torture to the experience, although not at the time. But immediately afterwards, especially if you jump on board a train sweating head to foot (empty carriage, just as well!) and sit down with a full 30seconds to spare! Whew, just made it. Fantastic day out!






No comments:

Post a Comment