Sunday 19 September 2021

big wood pt 2

 

1st Sept
Another return to Saltoun Big Wood. While everywhere else was becoming scarce for butterflies, Big Wood was one place I felt I was likely to bump into a few. This was the second of 3 trips and although there was lots of the good stuff it was slightly different each trip and far from identical results. Same with the cycle there. The first trip was just after I finished a job which entailed an hour of uphill cycle to get there, and it was defo good training for the hour-plus up to Saltoun. By the third trip I had lost the daily commute fitness. It shows how little training you have to do to suddenly have a bit of va-va-voom in your legs and also, how quick it goes. 


Like last time, I couldn't walk past the dragonfly ponds and so spent an hour there first. I found a small buddleia bush over the back with a couple of peacocks feeding on it. And a male Common Hawker resting on a silver birch. The rowan berries were brilliant against the blue sky and there were lots of dragonflies going about their business. 


common hawker


pair of common darters


While I was pushing through the shrubs and vegetation I must have dislodged this creature which I found on my arm and looked like a miniature dinosaur. I had seen something like it recently and double checked when I got home to confirm it was a lacewing larva. The adult creature is a graceful delicate flying insect with nearly invisible wings and long antennae. 


Mrs. and Mr. Black Darter


This is a clumsily stitched together 2-shots-into-one of a black darter and a spider who thought about it for a bit then jumped. The dragonfly was extremely quick off the mark and was away before the spider landed. 

darters, common and black



small copper


another hawker on birch 

I was cycling between the ponds and the butterfly trail when I saw this handsome admiral take off and then land in the heather. I thought it looked like a attractive colour combo so jumped off my bike (I had my big camera round my shoulder at the time) and took a couple of pics. I was very glad I did this as it was the only RA I saw today. Normally there will be a few at butterfly alley, but not today.



A couple of small coppers about the place; this one quite fresh.



While I was chasing butterflies this cyclist came up the hill. She gave me a warning shout out, so I didn't jump out my skin, which was very considerate. I hadn't seen her approach and she possibly (correctly) estimated I was away with the fairies. She was past before I properly returned to earth, although I caught half a glimpse and thought it might be Hilary H, a facebook friend and fellow runner. I messaged later asking if it was indeed her and she said it was and that it felt like being in a Disney movie with all the birds and butterflies flying around and about. And sent this photo saying this chap landed on her bars at the top of the hill! 


photo Hilary H. 



I was pleased to find quite a few small groups of commas, in 2s and 3s regularly along the trail. Not in the numbers I have seen them here before, but enough to feel there was maybe 10~12 over the quarter mile of the back trail. Maybe twice to 3 times that number last Autumn.



three commas

silver Y moth




wall











wall

green veined white















speckled wood









large white















The Trek bar I ate after my sandwiches had a sugary icing topping
which this comma appreciated.










ancient wall attempting late photobomb

After a couple of idyllic hours I was about to pack up and leave when down the low end of the back trail I saw a shimmer of blue and found this late season common blue. I have come across late flowering blues the last 3 years, usually a week into September. Always males. Maybe the sunshine sets them off. (Usually along the coast near Aberlady and Gullane.) But I don't think it can be a good strategy for continuing their genes. Although maybe there are females still about, just hidden unless you know where to look. (If was a complete failure, that strategy should have died out by now.)

It was pretty obliging in terms of sitting for photos and in remarkable condition for September. Instead of leaving, it encouraged me to do another loop up and back, during which I came across more small copper action (also very fresh) and a peacock who was keen to make the blog. A great finale to the butterfly hunt. I called in at the ponds on the way down the hill and got lead astray by a few of the usual suspects before getting back into cycle mode and doing the return leg home - always a couple of minutes quicker due to the gradients. Another fantastic day out. Favourite venue. 











the pond on the right coming up the hill












No comments:

Post a Comment