Thursday 23 September 2021

big wood pt 3

 

8th September
Another Wednesday in paradise - and the reason I keep missing Weds night training sessions with PRC. I saw the forecast was great again and keep thinking it's the last decent day of summer and I can't think of where else to find more than a handful of butterflies, if even that. So I am getting used to the cycle. Park the mind in neutral and 67minutes later I am at the gate. (No pb this time!)


Today I went past the dragonfly pond and headed up for the butterflies first. I was early and the pond was not yet in full sunshine. Cycling up past the pond on the right I met Alan Brown who I've bumped into before at Gullane on the trail of Holly Blues. I saw his motorbike parked at the gate and he has to carry his helmet and gear with him. Another Sony RX10 owner, though he struggles to capture hawkers in flight, as I do. Glad it's not just me. I have largely given up taking in-flight photos of them as you can spend an hour getting 2 rubbish pics. Better to spend the time getting much better static pics. I tell him I am going along to hunt for commas, he says he'll be along in due course.



The last of the morning dew is lifting but there are spiders webs picked out in water droplets. It is a glorious day, but so far there isn't a huge amount of butterflies. It's the same story up butterfly alley. I wonder if it is too early and whether I should go chase dragons at the ponds. It takes ages to spot the first comma, way up to the far end of the path. Just peacocks and small torts till then. I am pleased about the small tortoiseshells as they weren't here last time and they are super fresh and very photogenic. Lack of commas isn't great though. Last year there were dozens. Then I see a Silver Y Moth. While not rare they haven't been commonplace this year and I can't remember the last time I found one. They are really well camouflaged when sat on brown bracken and you only tend to notice them when they fly. This one was nectaring at the scabious and gave me plenty opportunities for photos. Their wings are weirdly old-fashioned like Victorian screens or nighties, with drab colours more suitable for camouflage than display. But interesting none the less. They have a fast tremulous wing beat and jumpy flight which doesn't help photographers!



peacock



small tortoiseshell





silver Y 





a few speckleds about


the strong sunlight made spotting webs easier



First comma of the day. I was beginning to wonder where they all were. Alan came up the path about this time and said he'd spotted some along the path so we slowly moved up and down but without much luck. It was so hot I had to eat my sandwiches sitting on a tree stump in the shade. I was baking! We have had quite a few days of suntan weather this Summer - really can't complain. The upside of global warming maybe. Places with crappy Summers like Scotland finally moving up a grade to semi decent weather. Hurray!



peacock and comma


small white


A couple more commas appeared but there were not many.






small copper in great condition








I had been there nearly 3hrs when I went down to the dragonfly ponds. I spend an hour there taking photos before cycling back up the trails and once round the East side square. Judging by the photos or lack of them there weren't any more commas. Only settled Red Admiral of the day, but no decent photos. Lots of good dragonfly stuff by the ponds though. I spent a bit of time there with Alan though I'd tend to mooch around the back of the area looking for mating couples (of dragonflies) and females hiding from the relentless attentions of the males at the pond. Lots of black darters - I've never seen so many. Rather than just try to get record photos I'd try to get the best possible photos, often risking them flying off while I was moving to get a decent background. They will often return to a favourite perch. 










I deliberately got low on the ground to take this shot, knowing that if I could position the insect like this, it shows the wing structure sharply against the blue of the sky. I was also taking the time to shoot emerald damselflies, a bit past their finest but they make good photos against the light reflections and sparkles on the water. Quite a lot of kneeling in dirt and pond water. And squinting through the viewfinder, but what an agreeable way to spend a day.


bokeh!


common darter (female)
I know this was a female as it had just resisted the attentions of an enthusiastic male.




black darter



Checking the mileage it is only 16miles to the gate at SBW
Returned the same route this time. Superb weather all day. 



2 comments: