Monday 27 September 2021

only the dead have seen the end of war(riston)

 

15th Sept.
A sunny afternoon encouraged me along to Warriston for an hour to feed the birds and see if there was anyone wanted their photo took. Speckleds were the only butterflies about, but there were a few birds beginning to use the tables in the secret garden. Which I found cheering. We are almost a whole year on from when I started visiting the place regularly last January. The circle of continuity is reassuring.




Although the day was bright, the light was shocking in much of the cemetery. (Blocked by leafy trees only beginning to think about shedding their leaves for Autumn). Even with my large bridge camera the photos were rubbish and lacking detail.



Unlike in the Botanics, the squirrels are not friendly. Occasionally one will take handouts at a distance but most scurry off when they see you coming.

2 squirrels watching me closely



the first of many "speckled on a grave stone photos"







there's a name that has died out, unsurprisingly

A quick google later; and an unreliable newpaper reported that Scots surname Smellie (correctly pronounced Smiley) was the second greatest decline of use (71% down between 1881 and 2008) after Cock at 76%. Now that would have made an excellent double barrelled surname to pass onto your children. 


Long tailed tit.

A gang of LTTs flew into and around the trees I was below. They hop about and sing their positions to each other in a vibrant and happy way but are hellish tricky to get a photo of when super-active like this. I took many shots but most are blurry or just missing any birds entirely.



There was a smudgy mist-like light in the cemetery making everything soft and hazy


meanwhile the reign of terror continues

This innocent little chap has claimed the secret garden bird tables as his own and if anyone visits he sees them off pronto. He is a new arrival this year and still finding his feet. I was pleased to see a great tit land and refuse to fly off when he landed next to it. He very quickly backed down. The more of this that happens the more he might stop the selfish behaviour, like a spoiled child getting the corners knocked off in the playground. 


great tit doesn't back down!




more Smellies!


This large oak fell down halfway through January and was (mostly) removed just recently. Apparently the debris in the river has been utilised by kingfishers although I check every visit and haven't seen any perched here. They also took the other 2 fallen trees away with lifting gear - a crane on the road side and a guy with a chainsaw on the cemetery side.

As I was leaving by the road, a couple of kingfishers flew by. I only just got a shot - they did not hang around for a photo - and was later informed by Hugh(?) that they are not a mating pair but possibly 2 males, and it was likely one seeing off the other. Great to hear there are so many up and down the river although photos/sightings are few and far between. 



a crappy record shot of 2 KFs flying downstream

Having seen them both fly downstream I went for a wander to see if I could locate them, rather than just going home. Going across St Marks bridge I looked down and to my great surprise saw one looking back up at me from a branch in the river almost directly below on the downstream side. I got a couple of pics before it flew 25 yards to a collection of debris (including a palette) on which it perched. Until it noticed I was still taking pics. It flew downstream and away. So I also now check these points every time I go by, but as you might imagine, mostly nothing. 

who you looking at?
Seen from the tall wooden bridge that links St Marks park to MacDonald Rd.



you still there?



No comments:

Post a Comment