Friday 17 September 2021

botanics and warriston

 

27th Aug
I was pleased to hear the Botanics were no longer operating a(n online) ticketed entrance and were now back to normal. I hadn't been in ages and haven't found it particularly great for birds and butterflies last couple of occasions. But felt it might be worth a visit, and if nothing much there I could always check out the Water of Leith and Warriston for wildlife afterwards.



Although I hadn't been in ages I remembered all the bits where likely to find butterflies and checked them out, one after another. Lots of new work has been carried out in the rock garden area and it was looking very well groomed. Nothing in the way of butterflies though. In fact many of the areas were looking very well maintained and immaculate. Although my own preference is for a more natural look. Weirdly there was a lack of wildlife and I overheard a child complaining that there were a lack of squirrels too. Right enough I hadn't seen many. I wonder if they have stopped approaching the public for handouts as much, with a limited amount of visitors during covid. Doesn't explain the (lack of) birds and butterflies though.



LTT


great to see this building no longer infested with an inflatable turd monkey

IHF sundial only 20mins fast - not bad!





I was excited to see a comma butterfly near the large beech hedge and herbaceous border. Unfortunately it was not excited to see me and before I got anything more than a record shot had disappeared up, up and away into nearby treetops. 



I started to take photos of all the flowers that would often or normally have butterflies on them in good weather. Too depressing although the flowers were pretty. I swapped that game for taking photos of any insects I could find or just anything at all visually pleasing. While there is no shortage of this in the botanics I felt a bit short changed and felt I was owed a kingfisher or otter or something of note f'goodnessake. Or maybe it doesn't work like that? At least the admission price is free so no money was invested! 


flowers where there should be butterflies!





All this wilder woolly area should be heaving with butterflies. Instead it was heaving with one small tortoiseshell. Lots of butterfly friendly plants and flowers in this area but no butterflies. 




cornflower - magical shade of blue







best hairy-arsed fly of the day





speckled wood

This specimen and others like it has marked a late season explosion of Speckleds. Lots of brand new editions popping up anywhere there are trees and dappled sunlight on leaf litter and nettles. They are having a good year. Warriston was similarly busy with them.












It is a short walk from the Botanics back to Warriston. Not an awful lot there either but pleasant enough to wander and watch the squirrels chase each other round the trunks of mature trees. I posted a video of the chasing squirrels and had the feeling they were a mother and offspring and that what appeared to be a game of tag was actually a fun lesson about evading predators, such as cats, when chased up a tree.


these 2 went round and round for ages







I found a buddleia that has since flowered and faded. This red admiral was enjoying the last of the flowers before they turned brown. I don't normally stand on the gravestones, out of respect for the residents. However the only way I was going to get a decent photo of the RA was to stand on top of a large cuboid flat-topped stone. I felt the locals wouldn't mind this slightly disrespectful action and hopped up carefully. I was also aware it wouldn't be hard to sway with my eye to the zoom and take a header off the 5' platform into the brambles. I took some shots and climbed down with care, curious that there were 100% more RAs (and large whites) in Warriston Cemetery than a place full of exotic blooms and nectar from all over the world.












Helen Miles' graffiti mosaic



Had a chat with this crow. It saw me walk underneath the sign on which it was watching the world go by. I threw some seeds on the cyclepath and retreated a bit. It hopped down and seemed to enjoy them as a fair exchange for a photo or 2. I had seen there was another of Helen Miles excellent mosaics in the Rodney St Tunnel so did a wee detour on the way home to see it. It was down low next to the ground and cheering up a place otherwise full of indifferent spray paint. I was disgusted to notice some lowlife scum had written on it with a marker pen. People like that need to be quietly taken away and put down. I keep meaning to go back with acetone and see if I can remove the offending pen. Beautiful and skillful work.




No comments:

Post a Comment