Wednesday 13 March 2024

number two and the bingo bees

 

26-02-24
I was so busy buying tupperwares for Majorca that I didn't have time to write up this day out at the Botanics at the end of last month. It was notable for the second butterfly of the year and the release of the bingo bees.


long tailed tit

I met a pal I hadn't seen in ages and we compared notes on getting older, while having a wander round the Botanics. It was a pleasant enough day for it and certainly better than any either side. Just about warm enough to cast off hats and gloves. There was a lack of kingfishers (and not even any friendly robins) at the Chinese pond. However we bumped into Ken along near the viburnum, who pointed out the second red admiral of the year on the bergenia leaves. As we chatted the admiral flew up onto the viburnum and gave us a better opportunity for photos. Close inspection suggested it wasn't the same individual as the first one I photographed on the 18th Feb, although it was in a similar area.


RA on bergenia

on viburnum



chatty passers-by 😟





While chatting the bingo bee girls turned up. They are Edinburgh University students who are studying bees and have permission to release the bees in places of their choice within the gardens. In order to recognise or monitor the bees they glue tiny numbers to their backs. Hence bingo bees. They (the students) also carry sonic equipment with a view to locating the bees by the sound of their buzz. I am uncertain of the end goals of the project but they have been carrying it out for some while. 



I remember last year Ken suggesting (in the absence of butterflies) we search for numbered bees. We found a few and there is something much more compelling about looking for bees with numbers than just looking at unadorned bees. It is difficult to pinpoint exactly where this added value comes from, more than just the joy of a bee wearing a number, which is pretty good fun! (While remaining a sober scientific experiment of course.) It is sort of like the strap line of The Prisoner but in reverse.
"I am not a number, I am a person."
vs
"I am a number, I am a bingo bee!"



Talking of prison, the bees have to be chilled in order to stick their numbers on. And travel round the gardens in a low temperature deliveroo-type bag. So before release they are actually being held in the cooler. I trust it will benefit them in the long run. Well not them perhaps, but their future generations. I will be looking out for 155 and all her co-workers.


we thought maybe number 3
but closer scrutiny suggested it was just number 2 relocating

small flies in sunlight

After all the excitement in the Botanics (AND marmalade hoverflies) I said goodbye to Ken and my pal and returned home via Warriston. There wasn't much going on but the crows were happy to see me. And the robins.


bullfinch (m)




Robins have 2 levels of audio. Usually they find a decent perch and holler as loud as possible with beak wide open, in something that is a blend of threat, declaration and song, to let everyone know this is their patch. The other voice they use (video below) is more conversational chat with mostly closed beak, and the sound seems to emanate from their throat in a quiet burble. Since there were no other birds within earshot I presume this was for my benefit. He is probably offering to share his worms as long as I keep turning up with the bread and seeds, but should accept it it his manor and I should not go feeding anyone else. A great honour.

chatty robin

wren

unusual to see these 2 together and no fighting!
must be relatives or spouses

this one showed me his impressions
He also does Anne Robinson and Robin Williams.



No comments:

Post a Comment