Friday 1 March 2024

kestrel

 

21-02-24
A fine shift at the graveyard. All the usual suspects plus (as the title and photo above suggests) another. It was a bit windy and not the best light. However a feeling that Spring might be getting closer brought out a friendly flock of the smaller garden birds. 














this chaffinch at the back of the riverside area
was happy to pose for photos



the grey wagtail was as usual wading through the water and mud at the tunnel



wren - there are quite a few about, establishing territory




I couldn't be bothered swapping lens from the 400mm to the macro, so this is as close as I could get to a fly. I have been keeping note of the smaller invertebrates and insects and hope to produce more macro stuff as the season progresses.


As usual the crows were following me about. I made the mistake of putting out some food on the James Young Simpson memorial which is halfway between the lower crypts and upper and all 4 of my crow friends turned up to feed. The 2 upper and 2 lower usually keep their distance and if there is any trespassing the other pair let them know about it. It was quite a tense stand off along check point charlie.



love the wee legs in the air
Interesting one at top; could be a 10 spot which don't always have 10 spots



So around this time I bumped into Vicki, whose long lens camera revealed she was out to photograph nature, in particular the kestrel. As we stood talking, it flew over and landed on top of a gravestone. We quietly moved towards it but it is more wary than it used to be and doesn't much like company.


giving us the stink eye


best photo today

I was cursing I didn't set the camera to a faster shutter-speed for the take off. I was also hoping to get closer before it moved. Could have been worse, could have been better.




the wind was so strong it blew the kestrel off the gravestone



the crow was unimpressed


kestrel checked me out from above




Vicki headed off and I mooched about until the bird made another appearance. I quietly followed it about for a while and although got near, it was sat with the light behind and didn't make for great images.





female blackbird also at the tunnel on nearly every occasion





A good day out with lots of birds about. More later.








No comments:

Post a Comment