Monday 20 December 2021

winter wings

 

9th December
Some days lots of birds, others, inexplicably, very few. Today, lots! There is probably not a particular reason why, more likely that the time I happened to be passing, so were these birds. Coincidence? I am not sufficiently familiar with the rituals of birds to know what makes them tick and regularly check the internet to identify what I have been seeing, and what it suggests. So bear with me if I get things wrong. I'm no expert and fairly new to this.

Meanwhile the upside is I'm just as excited to get a great photo of a coal tit as an average pic of some bird of prey. I am still really chuffed with the photo above taken a couple of weeks ago. They are so fast moving, the coal tits, that you never have more than a second to catch the moment. This one was square on to the camera and as a result more of it is in sharp focus than usual, showing nearly microscopic levels of detail. Best photo of the day despite an obliging woodpecker and a kestrel landing near to where I was standing.


redwing in Pilrig St

I got the camera out early. It normally stays in a case in my backpack until I have climbed through the gap in the East Gate. Today there was a redwing and some blackbirds in the berry tree along Pilrig Street. I check every time I pass, for waxwings, under the fantasy that if I force all my optimism into the one tree, they will appear there. (The sort of optimism one has buying lottery tickets; that it is statistically extremely unlikely but hey it is zero if you don't buy a ticket.)(I don't actually buy lottery tickets but Mary does and I'm prepared to help her celebrate when we win.)

The other day, while Mary and I were stopped there taking photos a passer by asked if there was any sign of waxwings. So I'm not the only dafty. She had seen them there in 2019 when a small flock had graced Edinburgh with their charming presence. If you are not familiar with waxwings then click this link. Although that is not usual waxwing behaviour. There has to be some compensation for living on Fair Isle, and I think that is it. But yes that was 2012 and there aren't many waxwing videos/photos since, although Richard saw some near the Jenner's Depository back in 2019 on some red berry trees. So there is a tiny reason to hope. But not much. But enough to warrant dropping the pace as I pass these red berry trees in Pilrig Street and squinting into the berry laden branches. 





Nice to see the sun shining. Of course the sun always shines. It's just the thick cloud that passes over Edinburgh that calls the shots. Nice there wasn't too much of that today which I think helped with the brightness of the photos at the feeding tables. Quite a good crowd there despite the robin trying to chase everyone away.

blue tit

dunnock



top photo!


I think he sat for the longest ever time on my hand today.
And recently came to my hand and sat without any bread there.

he is so fat that when he lands on the metal water pan
he makes an audible ding noise


the female bullfinch is usually first to arrive


followed by the male




great to see them together at the food...


but not long before the Luftwaffe arrives



the coal tits brave the robin's ire but are constantly alert


long tailed tit: another hyperactive species tricky to photo


squirrels haven't got great eyesight so will stop to have a good
look to see if I appear dangerous - making them easier to photograph



Recently I had been fantasising about sparrowhawks and kestrels landing close to where I was standing. At least these fantasies (unlike the waxwings) are based on birds that occasionally fly overhead in the cemetery. So when a kestrel did just that I tried to steady my nerve and slowly bring the camera up and not just chase it off right away. It wasn't very close - maybe 50yards away or more but it filled the frame at full zoom. It was also pretty crappy lighting, being underneath a large tree, with little sun. Oh well, you have to make the most of these chances and I got more than a dozen shots before it flew off. I had to crank the photos quite a bit in post to get much of a contrast. (And the result was better than a photo I got recently of the sparrowhawk in flight - a small, out of focus smudge that could be a pigeon or an eagle.) But there is still work to be done and improvements to be made. Not in the same league as the coal tit! 


goldfinches becoming more prevalent,
although they often prefer the upper reaches of the trees

treecreeper
(another hyperactive)


Mrs Woodpecker

I was very pleased to spot this woodpecker in the trees above (North of) the catacombs. I crept slowly towards it and it seemed not unduly bothered by my presence. I got several decent shots (and quite a few more poor ones) before it flew off to the tall yellow tree near the official entrance. I got a few more photos there but due to the interlacing branches it became less easy as it climbed into the higher reaches. GSWs seem to be almost common in the cemetery at the moment although the last few sightings have been as the result of looking up, rather than hearing their drumming. Another good area to see them is down at the riverside, near to where a pair raised chicks last season, that seemed to be well known to all that passed by. Even the dogwalkers.




tree near entrance






Interesting developments near the secret garden. The tyrannical secret garden robin (above) has been slow to appear the last couple of visits. In such cases I can usually call him out by whistling on the main path by a large pile of branches and heaped rubbish in which I think he might live. (Seen in above photo). There is also a wren or 2 in this area, and great tits and coal tits in the surrounding trees. On both occasions recently there were 2 robins here. Has Hitler met his Eva Braun? The robin I am familiar with does not tolerate other robins nearby so I suspect and hope this is the case, though she wasn't wearing a ring, so impossible to tell. Lol.  Also there is no way to identify the gender of robins that I am aware of. ALSO the newcomer took food from my hand (just after Hitler Robin had) as if someone had told (her) that it was okay to do so. There was a reluctance but she bravely overcame any trepidation. I have no idea if I am reading this situation right, but fingers crossed. I'm hoping it sorts out some of his aggression. 



On the way home I stopped by the trees between St Marks and MacDonald Road to see the green/gold/bull -finches. They are difficult to photo between the branches. And quickly flew off to join large roosts in the trees over by the riverside. 

goldfinch

greenfinch

mixed finches at the riverside roost?





1 comment:

  1. Fingers crossed you get your Waxwings one day (year). Always worth checking out supermarket car parks if they are in town, the Waxwings not supermarkets (usually a lot of berry bushes planted in them). Haven't seen any for a couple of years but they often allow a close approach.

    ReplyDelete