Tuesday 28 December 2021

a bird in the hand

 

14th Dec.
A couple of days mid December and not much happening. I found myself down at Warriston and wandering around taking photos. I realised much of my non-running can be linked to Mary's recent injuries and time-out-of-running-to-recover. If she doesn't run then I find it much harder to get out the door. And more often opt on dry or sunny days to take my camera out for photos rather than go for a run. In truth not much sunshine in the cemetery. But ladybirds and woodpeckers. And a squirrel with a leaf. And if you have no pockets to carry it home to line a nest as the weather gets colder, then you have to use your mouth to carry it. 



Mr Big on his steps again.






This gravestone watering hole is opposite the steps the squirrel gets his bread and seeds on. But he chose to go round three sides of the secret garden (60 yards) to get there for a sip of water. Rather than 12 feet from the steps.  


another nest builder



I caught up with Mr Woodpecker down below the crypts but he wasn't enjoying my company and flew over the top of the crypts to another tree. I took a few pics then ran upstairs but he had gone by the time I got there. 





numbers continuing to grow
(now that's what I call orange ladybirds 24)

15 + 1 on the other side

riverside robin

bullfinch


This coal tit was really appreciating the sunflower seeds I left on a couple of head stones at the riverside. Almost as if it knew how to say thanks, it posed for photos in the sunshine near to where I was standing.






chaffinch
sitting close by but light had gone

obvs got dressed in the dark

secret garden robin

16th Dec.
The sun was hitting the East wall just along from my point of entry at the East Gate. It picked out the 2 tiny blue tits that were busy making a home in the masonry, or rather, in the gaps between the masonry. The lower one (I'm thinking male) was removing mortar from between stones. I took photos from a distance not wanting to chase them away from their new home.





I then bumped into Alan, another regular there. As we were talking - mostly about ladybirds - a sparrowhawk flew up and around. But it was so briefly in view (and at great distance) I failed to get any decent pics...

sparrowhawk - laughable pic



As we continued to talk, a grey wagtail hopped nearby. Again I took loads of pics and only one made the grade. They tend to dig around in the leaf litter rather than pose (as above). Nice to see it there though. Mostly they prefer riverbanks.

harlequin and orange 

treecreeper escaping the camera, again

redwing, several, very shy

the riverside robin is so friendly I reckon he will take
stuff from my hand, and is my next project




This other riverside robin is very similar to the secret garden robin. He chases the other birds from his territory. Here he is doing a massive kung-fu kick on a great tit that was not recognising his righteous dominance.

Hiiiii-Yah!


blackbird with very orange beak and eye
and might be the same one I photoed last Winter




bullfinch (m)


g s woodpecker (m)
near where the ones last Spring raised chicks



orange ladybirds and cream spot
(Alan told me where to find these.)

the blue tits were still home building when I left
(and the light had also gone)



bullfinch on way home in St Marks







No comments:

Post a Comment