Wednesday 9 September 2020

Gosford goodies

 


Bandies at Gosford?! No way! I had heard rumours of Banded Demoiselles in various spots around the Lothians but it was only when Richard posted a photo of them next to Gosford Estate pond that I sat up and bought a train ticket to Longniddry next sunny day. (Thurs 20th Aug.)

I got the day off work and planned a route across E Lothian past a few likely spots where I hoped to interact with the last of the Summer butterfly squad. The thought that the season was fast coming to an end and that this might be the last decent day of Summer was too depressing to dwell upon. 


I had planned to run the couple of miles from Longniddry to Gosford Estate hastily along the JMW. Gosford House is a neoclassical country house designed by Robert Adam and built between 1790 and 1800. The current incumbent, the 13th Earl of Wemyss and March lives in Gloucestershire so doesn't mind the hoi polloi wandering around the grounds at a pound a pop. I had little interest in the attractive building and much more in the Bandies and butterflies.

largesse


Half a mile down the road to Gosford and I was onto the JMW. The sun was shining, it was just after 10am and the place was hopping with leps. I slowed from a run to a walk. Stepping onto the trails, the first I saw was a wall and stopped to take photos. Then every third butterfly was a wall. Large whites, peacocks and meadow browns were out in abundance but walls were the ones that caught my attention. I considered that there may be comparatively poor pickings at Gosford and that it would be foolish to rush past these beauties perhaps running away from the best part of the day.

It took over an hour to get three miles to the Farm Bothy shop on the far side of the Estate. I could have snuck in the main gate but there was a notice there directing folk to the shop where they could purchase a £1 entry to the place. Since entry was so inexpensive I decided to follow the rules and ran beyond the main gate to the shop where I was so keen to get into the grounds I forgot to check out the many products on sale - most seemed to be as the results of their poultry and pig farming. I suspect the minimum price entry is merely to get you into the shop rather than to generate income. (On Sundays you appear to be allowed in to roam without paying as the shop is closed.)


mating meadow browns


walls; m and f










only small copper I have seen in ages
disappeared before I got a proper look!


wonder where chicken wire got its name?



Almost immediately there were lots of butterflies: the grounds of Gosford are wooded acres around a pond and mausoleum with various boatsheds and small decorative outbuildings dotted about. And a lily pond. Surely the lily pond has to be first candidate for demoiselles? Nope. Main pond. Nevertheless after skirting a bit of the main pond it felt unlikely they would be there as there was not enough reed cover and waterside plants. More back at the lily pond, right check that out!


this was as close to the big house as I bothered to get,
not as fascinating by a long way, as a few small insects


by the lily pond




this moth flew up and landed on the hand of the creature from the black lagoon,
but not a bandy so I left

I saw a couple of blokes in their 50s with binoculars and camera also looking for BDs. We split up and I said I'd report back if I found any. While it was good that word was out about demoiselles I was a bit concerned the blokes were having no luck finding them and suddenly felt there was no chance of seeing them - either too late in the season or Richard had just seen some passing through, or they weren't going to show themselves today. I walked round the big pond wishing I'd paid more attention to Richard's description of where he saw them. I was feeling there wasn't a hope in hell, when one flew up off a reed or some grass by the water's edge. I was NOT expecting that. I went into ninja mode and raced up slow as a glacier to record shot distance. Full zoom, got a few shots, check focus, bingo, move in closer. When I got closer than 2 yards it flew off but landed close by and I got the measure of the distance I had to allow. 





After a few shots in a few locations I made a note of exactly the spot between the silver birch and oak on one side and the other tree 8 yards away, just near where the small path from the mausoleum arrives. Then took a swift look round a fair bit of the rest of the pond before returning for more bandy action if I could find it again. I was also checking the nearby area back from the pond for females. Never saw any females, but on returning to beside the previous spot I saw 2 males jousting for ownership of the bush and reeds. They both looked in very good nick, though I'm not sure they deteriorate in the same way as butterflies. Could be to do with grooming. Birds and odonata spend time on grooming and upkeep, butterflies not so much beyond running a proboscis through front legs. 





it was only much later I noticed the caterpillars





Demoiselles are the largest UK damselfly - the Beautiful (I saw them on my Spanish Holiday (photo 187~189) last Sept.) being only slightly larger than the Banded. Both have a sci-fi beauty and metallic alien appearance. I was VERY thrilled that they live less than 15 miles from my house! Well at least 2 males do. I will be hunting for the females next year! (Much later I bumped into one of the 2 gents I met here and he admitted to finding the 2 male BDs but no females either.) Meanwhile I was determined to get some macro shots as they are only more fascinating the closer you get. After one settled on leaves I lay on the ground nearby and extended my hand with the camera in it, until it was only centimetres from the insect. I took loads of photos as I couldn't be sure of the exact focus. Happily some were in focus on the head of the damselfly. And the sun was shining! I was delighted! I looked around to find the 2 guys with cameras to let them know I had found the quarry. Couldn't find them. 



in flight

Wemyss Mausoleum for 7th Earl
who was a grand master mason hence pyramid and masonic refs


The icing on the cake was this comma, which I made a very poor job of photographing before it flew off. I then went in search of the "pond in the woods." I had seen a wet spot on the maps of the estate that wasn't next to the other areas of water. It seemed to be off in the woods between the mausoleum and the road and judging by google maps had no paths leading to it or around it. Surely it would yield some whopping dragonflies? Bound to! I began to question the wisdom of this search as I wandered into thigh-high nettles and brambles, following the canal-like stream in a line North. 


every now and then I'd come across an encouraging speckled wood or darter


map of Gosford grounds


swamp

After nearly giving up a couple of times I fought my way through to this swamp. It should have been heaving with dragonflies and swamp creatures, but I couldn't see any. The only way round to the other side without a wade through deep stagnant water was to cross the stream via a wee bridge and work my way round on the West side. I gave up as there seemed to be nothing worth the effort. It took a while to return to the paths, which were very welcome. 





Instead of leaving by the way I had entered I wanted to check out the other small lane to the main road. It went past this very picturesque cottage then down a dark wooded lane. The lane was bordered with tall trees and snowberries. The sun was shining and there were sycamores all about. It struck me that this had the 3 main elements for Holly Blues and so I had a hunt in the snowberries. There were a few speckleds about and a mighty comma who was refusing to open its wings. It eventually did, but only to fly up into a nearby tree. I waited for few minutes to see if any Holly Blues would appear. It wasn't long till one did, but it didn't land anywhere useful for photos. After a while a second appeared and just for a moment or 2 rested on a flower right beside me. Just one photo, then it flew off. 








Waterston House

Just a short way up the road to Aberlady and I noticed that Waterston House was open again. It is operated by the Scottish Ornithologists Club. They have a front garden full of butterfly favourites. I asked a woman if it was okay to have a mooch about and take some photos. She let me know she wasn't staff, as she was just taking (with permission) a cutting from the garden. I had a wee look around without ever seeing anyone else, then spent 5 mins taking pics of the butterflies. 

white buddleia was getting a lot of attention from peacocks and tortoiseshells


round the back of Waterston House





I decided to check out a couple of spots in Gullane before Drem Station and the train home.

last common blue of the season? Note; frayed fringe reveals age
(spoiler alert, 2nd last; there's another much fresher one yet! But not today.)

small heath

Hats off to the small heaths. They have been about since early on and have just kept appearing all Summer, modestly going about their business. They are not spectacular in size or colour but really worth an endurance medal for hanging in there, when all around them have come and gone. Well done the Heaths!



friendly peacock



Archerfields was busy by comparison to the top of the hill site in Gullane. But no Holly Blues at either, and not that much of note at Archerfields. I didn't stay long, keen to get home and check on the Bandy photos. Peacocks, RAs and Tortoiseshells. I ran back through the fields to Drem Station, hoping the purple flowers round the crops might be busy with butterflies, but they were beginning to fade and I had a train to catch. Great day out and excellent to see Banded Demoiselles so close to home. Unexpected place but you can't argue with the evidence. I hope they are to become an annual event.



Harvest had begun

Drem Station

18 miles plus a couple of station miles. 6hrs.



No comments:

Post a Comment