Friday 11 September 2020

sometimes it doesn't work out

 


30th Aug 2020
Sunday run out with Nick and Mary. Usual route with a scone and coffee from Goose on the Green. Sad to see the Village Coffee House is still closed and I suspect the worst for the family who run it, that the plague may have put them out of business. It can't be good news that the blinds are still down there when most shops and cafes closed by the virus have now opened in some form or another.




It was nice to see a peacock and admiral or 2 on the flowers opposite the cafe in the sunshine. It made me hope there might be lots of good stuff out and about, however apart from a mating pair of darters on the JMW wall and a small t-shell there wasn't that much. Where are all these commas hiding? 








sanderlings on Aberlady beach


fox moth caterpillar

So all that was very nice but I was hankering for more. The sun was in-and-out and I thought there might be some fun to be had at Gosford Estate. Mary pulled the car over there on the way back but the makeshift car park was full. I opted to jump out and explore. Mary reluctantly drove back home. I'm not sure she wasn't the more sensible. There wasn't quite the wildlife there I'd hoped for although it's a nice enough venue for a run.



I was very keen to check out the snowberries in the lane for Holly Blues. First time past and only speckleds. No commas, no HBs. I got the dread. The sun was fading fast and maybe I should have been less greedy and just gone home with Mary. I was now 15 miles away from a shower and meal. Was this just daftness?


The other thing I had hoped to get photos of was the Banded Demoiselles I had already met at the pond. I checked out the appropriate places but no bandies and only a few damsels at the lily pond. Oops looks like I blew it. These things don't always work out fine.


I decided not to hang about waiting for things to get worse and had a last look at the snowberries on the way out. It was still pleasant enough and when the sun came out, the speckleds would dance about nectaring on the snowberry flowers. Then, out the corner of my eye I thought I saw a pale blue/white flutter. I had to reach into the branches, grab a few and give a gentle shake. A single ancient Holly Blue flew into the air and landed again within photo-distance. Could be the last one of the season? It was quite unexcitable so I was able to swivel the branch it was on, turning it for a better photo. It sat uncomplaining as I turned it for the camera. Took a couple of pics then said thanks and let it be.






I tried not to get annoyed about stranding myself so far from home. (Mary had reviewed things a bit later down the road and phoned me to see if I needed picked up but my mobile was not in my backpack, but at home! D'oh!) 

I could not be arsed running all the way so aimed for Longniddry Station. When I got there the previous train had departed 8 mins ago and I had a 52 min wait for the next one. Okay Plan B: check the bus timetable. There wasn't one on the bus stop. I suppose they think everyone has a smart phone these days. I wasn't going to stand for an unknown amount of time getting cold. 

Plan C; run back down to the coast and get the 26 bus from Port Seton. Another couple of miles won't hurt. Actually it did. Specifically when the 124 North Berwick to Edinburgh bus whizzed by 200 yards down the road. That produced many sexual swear words and blasphemies.

Before leaving Longniddry there was a buddleia with several peacocks and red admirals. Small compensation, but I did get the camera out and take a few shots in the fading light. Then ran down to Port Seton caravan park and bus terminal. Only had about 15mins to wait for a 26 which delivered me back into Edinburgh. 



the second 6 miler of the day 
(not particularly recommended!)



No comments:

Post a Comment