Wednesday 29 January 2020

last run of 2019


Dec 31st: batten down the hatches, the streets will be awash with arseholes. But first a glorious run from Bonaly into the Pentlands. A month on and I don't remember a lot about this outing. Except I was feeling a bit cautious. I hadn't been doing much and had some coughy/coldy bugs. The normal attitude of immortality was replaced with a wrinkle of vulnerability and I left a note for Mary saying roughly where I was heading in case my frozen corpse needed to be retrieved.


Although everything turned out fine I realised as I cycled up the road, 2 mins from home, that I had forgotten my Suunto gps. I was annoyed, but not enough to turn around and get it. This was an indicator that I was defo below par mentally (and probably physically as well). It reminded me to pay attention and err on the side of caution when leaping fences or deciding to go in for a swim. As if.

I was swithering between a local run round Holyrood and something bolder. Given the blue skies and the 2 hill races I'd signed up for (Jan and Feb) it had to be a trip to Bonaly. It takes under 40 mins on the bike and so is my preference for a Pentlands starting point. Unfortunately there is no designated bike parking so I padlock it under the trees near the car park and never properly relax until I come off the hills and it is still there. 


Rather than run up the steep stony trail to the gate I turn right at the trees and head right at the fence at the top. This (see first image) is more photogenic and you can pretend you have stopped for pics as the steep gradient kicks you in the lungs.

At the fence hop over heading slightly left which curves right and after another gentle slog turn left at the fence and climb the wooden steps over the wire. Walk through the trees and you pop out to the lovely vista of Bonaly Reservoir. (As above.)

Back through the trees at the Southern end of the reservoir and up to Harbour Hill which gives some of the best views of the hills along to the Kips. From Maiden's Cleugh I headed towards the summit stones of Bell's Hill then after dropping into the swampy cleft before Black Hill turned right and contoured round to cross the nose of Threipmuir Res cutting back to Harlaw and the climb back up Maiden's Cleugh.



descending Bells


Threipmuir 



thin icy covering near Harlaw

back up Harbour


Just in case there was any amazing photos to be had at Bonaly Res I popped back through there. There wasn't, but it was really pleasant with the sun going down and the water fairly still. I ran cheerfully back down the same way I'd gone up and was relieved to find my bike unmolested where I'd left it. 




I was tempted to wait till the sun slid behind these trees making a better photo, but was also keen to get the cycle home done in the remains of the daylight. Too cold to hang around.



phew! still there
Very enjoyable last run of the year.

Although I hadn't taken the Suunto I was able to map out the route
on the route-planning software. Around 7.5 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment