Sunday 17 February 2019

the lovely Carnethy five

4 of the Carnethy 5

Luptons!

photo: Mark H
note the 2 who aren't racing are smiling broadest


photo: Mary

see the guy 2 seats behind - I think he is keen to champion
single colour out of black buffs because they are clearly best.

perfect summary of race, except for up-beat blue sky
photo: Mary

can you guess wind direction?
photo Mary

all smiles!

That time again; the FABULOUS Carnethy 5. Shortly before the race got underway I was warming up (I use the term with much poetic licence), when I bumped into Olly Stephenson. I didn't expect him to be there. (He was spectating not running.) Yes he is (usually) the organiser, but he has been poorly, and went in for his third instalment of chemo 2 days after the C5, which has been taking it's toll. It was great to see Olly and hear him laugh at how much my annual reports of this bun-fight entertain him and how he shares some of my enjoyments of this unique event. 

I probably became aware of Olly while running at the C5, wondering who that was about the same pace as myself. And then later at Wintervals. The Suunto I wear every run used to adorn his wrist. We are pretty much running brothers. So I will not be complaining at all about the C5 this year because no matter what it is like, or how bad the weather, or deep the mud, or tough the veg lasagna pastry, I'd rather be there, sploshing through that icy swamp and marching up that heathery hill, than going for chemo in 2 days. In fact while you're here could you just direct all the love and positive vibes in the world towards Marchmont and cross all your fingers and say all your prayers, that things work out fine. Thanks.

photo Michael Philp

Shortly before the start, while the inexperienced tried to find wind shelter behind the 2 marquees, I ran up and down trying to get warm. Eventually I felt sufficiently de-chilled to remove my jacket, but it was a close call and it nearly stayed on. It was relatively mild (for a C5) apart from a 50mph windchill. However I knew halfway up the first hill I'd be melting. I also checked out the preferred line through the swamp; finding the shortest leap over the brutal water jump and lining up that with the start. I was having a difficult time believing nobody else (Gordon E aside) was doing this; as a poorly timed jump or bad line can (and did) lead to several bodies going down (full superman headlong dive) at the first hurdle for an early bath. My cheaty plan worked and I got a great start and was soon up among a far better quality of runner than I finished with. (Queen Mudge (an immeasurably superior hillrunner) only went past about a quarter of the way up Scald Law: not running through the heather to one side, which often seems the only option when you are going at twice the pace of those ahead, but actually swimming through the line of competitors like a salmon up a waterfall, utilising something between butterfly and breast stroke: impressive stuff!) 


photo Michael Philp

photo Michael Philp


photo Michael Philp


If it was windy in that field downstairs then by the tops it was flamboyant. You can see in the above photo how it has blown the expression clean off Neil B's face and the guy behind is holding onto his nose for fear of losing it. Props to whoever took these pics - I didn't even carry a camera because I wanted both hands for falling over.


This was Ollie's (in Porty vest above) first C5. Shortly after this was taken himself and George were approaching the Howe on the steep ground, when Ollie heard (actually heard!) the guy ahead place a foot badly and snap his leg. I'm proud to say Ollie and George stopped to offer assistance (with Mark also pictured above) and spent a while with the Fife AC guy while the Mountain Rescue got their vehicle as close as possible. Mary later told me she passed a Porty huddle and hoped Ollie was ok. He was - and after seeing the unfortunate runner onto the MR landrover, continued to the finish with George and Mark. Word came back from George later that it might have been a tendon snap rather than a bone but I suspect neither option is negligible nor painless after the initial exhilaration.  (I'm still feeling queasy from Monica's husband's finger last year! Don't make me post that photo again.)

Mary had a pretty good race, if hair raising.
photo Kathy


photo Mary

Talking of queasy, Mary bumped into Scoffer (above), an old pal from the Borrowdale crew. She had trouble recognising him as he was wearing tango tights and facial hair rarely seen outside Movember. On reflection I think the tights were a revenge for making leggings part of the mandatory kit list. Anyone seeing them would be keen for that law never again to be enforced. They didn't seem to hold him up (so to speak) as he overtook local favourite Mr W between the gate and the finish line to win first m50. 


I ran in shorts, carrying tights in my back pack.

The benefit of the blowy conditions was the wind assisted ascent of Carnethy, which I think took me about 17 minutes of joyful vigour, leaving me breathing like Rolf Harris. Only Peter Simpson went past and I wished him well under my breath. I must have spent the whole race quite close to Geoff S (we appear in the same photo going up Scald Law) but didn't see him until long after we had crossed the line (him 10 secs ahead.) Similarly I saw various people I knew across a crowded dining hall but never got the chance to exchange praise of the course (chicken "pie": a watery chicken gruel with a pastry hat, or vegetarian asbestos lasagna.)

I ran back to Beeslack School with Greig (warmer than queuing for buses) another whose love for the race may outshine his successes at it. Or rather, having done the legendary sub60 one year (something I have yet to enjoy) feels he might have been better quitting while ahead rather than blot the copybook with regular return trips significantly wide of that mark. I was pleased to hit my exact target time this year of "not much worse than last year and about third worst time ever only and under 70 minutes, just". Thank goodness for all that training! The showers were hot, and everyone was smiling. Ollie later summed up his first C5 by saying he felt it longer than just one day. Which is another way of saying what great value it is. My 19th consecutive C5, see you all next year!


What with slight route changes the C5 Hamster now 
resembles a Hyena which might account for all the laughing.
Hard to believe it's a mere 5.75 miles

results: here


2 comments:

  1. Thank you Scallywag!

    Now is that any relation of scallywagsprints / Fiona? If so you have been awol far too long! Time to get back blogging?! Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear from you! Glad you are well. If you are still running and find yourself over this side of the country give me a shout and we can go blog a run together. If it's after mid April there will be butterflies to log and blog! East Lothian has lots of great countryside.

    ReplyDelete