Sunday 3 February 2019

Team East Lothian Cross Country


26th Jan, Foxlake
This was a great low key 5mile cross country, organised by Team East Lothian, lots of different age groups round a really nice course starting and finishing at Foxlake. Lots of parking and the weather was pretty good considering. Also a PRC champs race made for a great club turnout, (40% of the vests on the start line!)


We arrived in plenty time. The start was 12.40 so none of the usual scramble to get along for a crack-of-dawn kick off. It was a 2 lap course and we had enough time to run a whole lap before the start (although it meant we missed the team photo!). The course was hillier than I thought it would be - they made maximum use of the rising ground near the car parks to give us 5 climbs and descents in both laps. It was also even more scenic that I thought it would be. Not that scenery is important running 5 miles at eyeballs-out pace; more that it is just a lovely part of the world to run and they had planned out a great route down trails I wasn't aware of, over the bridge at Hedderwick (one of the prettiest corners in East Lothian!) and back to the start on constantly changing paths. Wide and flat, narrow and single track, in and out the trees. Not that you had time to appreciate the visuals, but it keeps you engaged in the process, and you never have time to think, "well I've had enough of that bit, when is this long boring road going to change." There were no long boring roads!



short but challenging hills x 5







I'm not sure why Mary wore a heavy jumper to run the warm up lap. It was mild enough to race in just a vest and shorts. Maybe she was heat training for Edinburgh Marathon later in the year. The course was not only really well marked, but they also had marshals posted at all the corners, which was quite a long time to be out there standing around, waiting for the various age group races to pass by. I tried to say thanks to all of them, until I ran out of breath then just gave the thumbs up. It was a very relaxed atmosphere for a race and the start happened almost without me noticing. I tried to keep Johnny and David in sight for a while but they had disappeared by lap 2. I was just behind Mike and Paul. I put a lot of effort into staying with them, and Paul was only 20s ahead by the end, which felt like an improvement over the Binning Woods XC (also 5 miles) back in December. Mike (1st 50, again) managed to get nearly a minute ahead so there is still lots of work to be done.




Jason

It was great to bump into Jason. A biker rather than runner, but his son Joshua was racing. A while back Jason had asked me about recommendations for clubs in E Lothian that coach kids as Josh had shown an interest. Unsure, I pointed Jason towards people more knowledgeable and in due course was very pleased to see Josh is now racing more than I am these days, while enjoying being coached by Willie, Craig, Jamie, Megan and Rhona. I can't think of more encouraging folk to inspire and as I say Josh seems to be racing most weekends. 

Josh (at Borders xc)
photo, Jason



Pic of me finishing, taken by Jason


4.8 miles, great part of the world


attitude not altitude

This altitude read out seems to have recorded my personal experience rather than accurate altitude. The 5 short sharp hills were higher second lap and I finished at 62' above sea-level having started (in the same place) at 46'. I think my Suunto is affected by the cloud. The cloud of steam and hot air coming out of me running at full speed. I think it distorts the barometer inside the device. Anyway it weirdly accurately parallels my experience. Great fun, and everyone agreed it was a fab setting and course. Hurray and thanks to all the organisers and marshals!


No comments:

Post a Comment