Thursday 3 January 2019

xmas eve good, xmas day bad


Christmas Eve was bright, sunny and just perfect to go for a brisk social down Gullane way with Michael and Nick. There was much banter although Mary found the pace a little faster than ideal for relaxing, able to keep up but only listen, rather than contribute to the chat!








underneath the Pentlands






Next day, Christmas Day, was the opposite of this. Just horrible. Not only had the weather taken a turn for the worse but Michael had swayed us towards thinking parkrun would be a good idea. We certainly weren't the only ones who thought this would be a good plan; there was record breaking attendance there of over 800. Which is great, given the obesity epidemic and the fact that we all tend to overindulge at this time of the year. However it was absolutely hellish and apart from the social aspect, seeing all the familiar faces, the running bit was just awful.

should've stayed home!

his fault!

As Nicola went past at 3k she said "I hate parkrun!"
I was in too much distress to form words and reply.


That jumper on the right had bells on and jingled all the way and did NOT help


I have done 4 parkruns in 2018. In March I ran 18.55. Given this is nearly 2mins down on my pb I was not pleased. I stayed away until October when I felt I did a decent job of pacing it, but still only managed 18.48. I wasn't sure if it was the rain or whether I was just old and slow. Or both. I have been doing lots of shorter runs in December and putting in some tempo paced miles. I hoped this would remind my legs how to get under 18minutes at Cramond but it seems that may be a distant dream. I didn't pace it particularly well on Christmas day and it hurt like hell. The result adds insult to injury: 18.40. And I absolutely knocked my pan in trying. Just an awful experience. 

The one saving grace is the age grading. Parkrun publish alongside the results how you stand among your peer group age-wise and this has remained solidly above 80% and is not going down the pan like my actual times. However, everything else about that 3 miles of hell is just soul-destroying. 

Also, adding to the misery; I am not an early bird, more a night owl. If parkrun was at midday it would suit me much better. The combo of early start, trying to get some va-va-voom in my legs, and often bad weather, it leaves me beaten up and unhappy. I have no idea how or why folk do this event every week. It's not that I don't think it's worthwhile, I think it is totally admirable; the volunteers, the speed training and the fact it is free and encouraging fitness. It's just I would rather swap the 3 miles of torture for 20 miles of scenery, or hill training, or just about anything. It kinda robs you of a decent Saturday run. I would like to get fit and have a few more cracks at sub18 but it is not a terribly high priority.


Michael just missed sub 18


Mary in a gigantic queue

Douglas - off to Florida!


This is going to be the next shameful experience at parkrun - Tyr loves parkruns in his buggy, trailing Rich behind. They have managed just over 19mins but soon, no doubt, will be speeding past, it's only a matter of time.



The crow of doom perfectly represents the fun of parkrun.

No comments:

Post a Comment