Friday 4 January 2019

boxing day


Graham Henry used to organise a social gallop across the Pentlands on Boxing Day. Had I remembered in time I might have flagged this one up to a few of the old crew; Paul, Ricky, Bert even, (who loves a hill!) but I forgot until after. Mary had no fixed itinerary and so I got in my vote to start from Bonaly. 

The car park was heaving and we were obliged to park on the roadside, the overflow car park being padlocked! I like to start from here as you are right into the trees within 100 yards and going up through them takes you up the hill then into the trees around Bonaly Reservoir. All very pleasant running albeit somewhat challenging gradient. Gets the heart rate up though.





I love the stile-step over the fence and through the shadowy trees
which open out to reveal the reservoir and surroundings. 


grasses were dancing in the stiff breeze

there was a fireplace of stones and a mossy seat
on which to sit and retie laces


then back out and up the hill







After Harbour Hill we descended then climbed Bell's Hill
running along to the far end.


However there was no obvious circuit without losing a lot of height,
so we retraced our steps.








Along to Capelaw then a perpendicular line back down to Bonaly Reservoir






So on the road back to Bonaly we came across this chap, a Fox Moth caterpillar making his way across the road. We see a lot of these in the Summer, less so at this time of the year. I have never seen the adult moth: worth googling, they can be spectacular. It blew over in the wind so I got the chance to photograph the moving parts underneath. I then saw 4 mountain-bikers approaching so I helped it off the road putting it on the grassy verge. Normally when handled they curl up swiss-roll-like, but this one didn't. Maybe it was wondering how it was going to get the wet mud out it's furry coat.



Great run which did much to reboot my enthusiasm for the Pentlands!


only 5.4miles but 90mins of fun

No comments:

Post a Comment