Tuesday 11 September 2018

summer double pt 2


The forecast suggested I start early. But Mike was coming round to collect my old wetsuit for Anthony at 10.45am. I lay in bed working out who I might reliably leave the wetsuit with, a neighbour, or my barber round the corner, so they could pass it on, while I left early. By the time I'd formulated a bombproof plan I was back asleep and whole thing resolved itself, as I wouldn't now be leaving before Mike arrived. I gave Mike the wetsuit, I was sorry not to be swimming with them at Yellowcraigs, and I would have enjoyed the cycle, but they left and I left shortly afterwards with the aim of completing my Tynecastle Bronze Summer Double.


I got a return ticket to North Berwick (without being ripped off) and had time to get a 99p coffee from Pret before catching the train, not to NB but only as far as Longniddry. As I ran down the road to the JMW, I looked at my watch and reckoned Mike, Carolyn and Anthony would be coming past pretty soon and as I hadn't mentioned the train to Longniddry they would be kind of surprised to see me. Almost as soon as I had the thought they, as if by the power of positive thinking, appeared. We all had stuff to be getting on with so didn't stop for much longer than the photos took. I had hoped I might catch them at Yellowcraigs before they cycled home, however the first part of my run was blessed with butterflies and I cashed in my average speed for time spent taking pics.


Contrary to the early sun forecast, the weather started pretty overcast but gradually improved. Aberlady was pleasant but it was weird to run there without Mary. Upside, I could spend as long as I wanted at the butterfly bush, downside, there was nobody to laugh and joke with, which always helps pass the time esp over a long run day with tired legs. There was nothing much worth hanging about for at the bush; famously demolished by the well-intentioned ranger last year. Judging by the lack of Peacocks, Admirals and Commas I'd say they successfully managed to destroy a lot of the eggs last year, although that is only speculation based on a lack of butterflies there this year - it could be any number of reasons. 

Autmn colouring the landscape
 



There were a couple of common darters and an Ear moth - presumably named because the wing spots look a little like an ear. However very little else and so I ran on. Normally we'd turn left before the dunes and take the trail towards the subs, but I was on a mission to run as little over the 30miles as possible so just headed to the main dune. 


Climbing the sandy path to its top I noticed, incredulously, a Common Blue flying about the dandelions there. Normally there are a couple of tattered blues on their last legs towards the end of August, but a relatively fresh one, more than a week into September would suggest a 2nd generation. Or just a lost, lonely, dafty that emerged accidentally, having missed the boat. I scoured the area, particularly the South facing dune, for others, but alas this chap might well have been the one and only. I hope he found a mate or some other blues to dance around with. He did seem oblivious to me and to his circumstances, and, after taking some photos, I left him happily nectaring away on the dandelions.

scoop of the day!





wee blue furry!


I enjoyed the plants about the place while looking for more blues. Maybe I was just a bit tired and enjoying excuses not to run. I was defo in the mood for a ponderous walk, but there were no butterfly distractions so I pressed on, not even bothering to take any photos of the beach, almost unheard of. My foot was going ok though which was good news. It was pretty achy over the first mile up the road to the station but eased off after a few miles and I think I didn't even bother to take any painkillers for the first 15 miles or so. 



Near Gullane I saw the oldest Small Copper ever! Knackered! I could relate.


I went through the dunes and woods rather than the beach after Gullane. I was hoping there might be an occasional Specklie and indeed there was. The sea-buckthorn has, all of a sudden, produced those bean-like orange berries that last for months and give the place a sweet whiff, much nicer than their alleged bitter flavour. And they make a cheerful background.







with the tide being high I cut across the dunes and down to the beach at Archerfields



When you turn off the beach a third of the way along and climb up onto the path through the shrubs, there are a few buddleia bushes there. The sun came out just in time and I spent about 20~30 mins there chatting with the Red Admirals, a Peacock or 2 and several Specklies that were flitting about in the dappled shade. It gave me my butterfly fix for the day.

















After that I ran along to Yellowcraigs, then cut inland a bit as the last couple of miles of beach into NB drag. I must have been flagging big style. I can remember thinking I'd much rather just catch the train back home and get back into bed. But instead I went to the coop and bought a prawn and mayo sandwich. It worked yesterday and saved me having to carry too much food. I went through a few sports bars as well both days, and at least a couple of cans of nrg drink. Well I did on Friday, but I was so caffeined up I felt jangly all evening so only had a coffee and one can on Saturday. I walked some of the climb up to the Law after sitting in the street for lunch. I refilled my reservoir with juice and water and tried not to think of the 17 miles still to go. I turned the mp3 player from music to Jurassic Park, which I hoped would distract me or at least annoy me enough to not notice the miles creeping past.



I found this young one lying motionless on the ground and although it 
looks fine here I doubted it would last the day 😞


I quite enjoyed running through, first Newbyth then Binning Woods. Not so much that I took many pics though. I had chosen this route because it is one of my all time favourites and reckon I could do it in my sleep. None of it is unpleasant, well maybe the last few miles on road, with tired feet. But it is like going a run with an old friend and there is usually something just around the corner to keep you going. 


Lots of signs of Autumn sneaking in.


When I got through the other side of the woods I took the road up to the Log Cabin. But then I cut down to the back of Tyninghame beach. I was so tired I didn't even bother climbing the dunes to admire the beach. It was a bit overcast and I felt I had done the out and was now on the back - that all I had to do was keep chugging along at about 9~10 min miles and I'd be at the platform for not long after 6. I thought about what I'd buy at the Tesco on the way into NB. I was thirsty and I didn't feel like eating but knew I should have something. Cold milk shake?




Coming up past Tam Bides Here there was quite a stiff breeze, a headwind, and I was so mentally disengaged that the only problem it gave me was I had to turn my head slightly so I could hear who was being eaten in Jurassic Park. Otherwise I couldn't hear the roar of the dinosaurs over that of the wind. At the top of the hill the sun was out, giving nice views of Tantallon and the Basso Profundo. I opted to stick to the main road - last few times I have carried straight on, on the less busy option. I was glad I did as Mark J came cycling up the hill waving a fist at a (too closely) passing motorist. I enjoyed stopping for a brief chat although I also realised how mentally askew I was, which you don't realise talking only to yourself for the last 6hrs until someone else comes alongside and you have to up your game! Mark offered to take a photo - the red dots on my front are the ear buds playing Jurassic Park to the wind. It is not the sort of carefully crafted story that needs rewound. Mark was just out cycling to the least near shops. It was a pleasant evening and he'd have the wind behind him on the way home.





I can't remember much of anything of the last few miles. Everything was a bit achy. I wasn't really enjoying it much but glad that it was all going past and I wasn't reduced to walking. You kind of have to play with time in your head, knowing there will come a point when you are reaching the station and the platform, and later you will be drinking beers and eating dinner - and that it tastes so much better on account of the journey. And you just have to put the current business to one side of your mind. Maybe there was a good bit in the audiobook, although it doesn't seem likely. I shouldn't be so rude, it was a good companion for 10+ hours over 2 days.

And so eventually after a long long day I got to Tescos. Ice cold yoghurt drink, raspberry flavour. I consumed it greedily and it almost totally repaired all systems physical and mental by the time I floated down the last mile plus, to the station. I even remembered to call in at the Commonwealth War Graves cemetery (un-named on google maps and no signs on the front gate but just next door to Tescos). I was not in reasonable condition for a long search so it was handy there was this just inside the gate: on the right hand side of the cross is a marker for Lieut. John Raphael Hamilton-Dalrymple who was killed in action in Flanders 1915, aged just 25. I tend to think of the posh kids, the officers, as getting a better deal, or rather more likely to survive, than the working class conscripts in WW1. Which they probably were, however yesterday's grave, and this one are evidence that people from all backgrounds were being mown down. It made my small endeavours feel comparatively like a walk in the park. Which is kind of the point of all of this.



I finally got to the platform somewhere after 6pm and had 10 mins to occupy before the next train. Nobody was in the covered waiting room (although folk were arriving continuously) so, not giving a damn, I went in there and changed out of damp top and shorts into a dry top and shorts I had in a dry-bag in my back pack. I made a small effort not to expose myself to the people on the platform but mostly was past caring. I went to text Mary that I had survived and started to say how hard it had been, then deleted that as I was already feeling better and ready for beer and dinner. It hadn't been all that bad, although there were several very low points, usually when I ran low on blood sugar and needed to eat. Not much in the way of blisters and only a slightly scuffed gooch which makes you stand suddenly upright in the shower, when the salty water runs off your head. I managed a small but jolly 5 miler with Mary next day, after she cancelled the second day of her Swimming with Sharks and Ikebana workshop.

We probably should do a mass TB in November. The 11th is a Sunday. Although in some quarters the date of the end of WW1 is recorded as 1919. I will probably continue doing a monthly long run beyond that date, much in the way I was, before this 4 year stretch. Seems hard to believe this was the 50th consecutive monthly TB since we started this game. It has been rewarding.


30.4 miles plus 2 station miles


No comments:

Post a Comment