Monday 17 September 2018

berry, goose, puffball


While I wouldn't want to do it every week, I was feeling keen about the usual Gullane run this Saturday, as we hadn't been there (together) for a few weekends. I hoped there would be plenty to photograph although the gusting breeze and cold made it feel unlikely. We opted for the Village Coffee House as caffeine dealer - they are quite quirky and cater for the less adventurous locals, but their coffee is damn fine (I doubt they would even get that Twin Peaks reference) and they are friendly, and usually will put some jam on a fruity scone. I had noticed an RA and PL on the buddleia as I went past balancing coffees and scones, so returned with my camera but they weren't opening their wings in the wind.

I was caught trying to prod them (they would re-land with open wings for a second or 2) by a fellow lepidopterist visiting from down south. No doubt she would be reporting somewhere online about the coarse nature of those up north trying to touch and stroke the butterflies of which there was only 2 because it was a barren frozen wasteland. I tried to interact with coffee-fueled friendly chat but the damage was done and my card was marked.

the camera chose the spider to focus on


the Painted Lady refused to open up


out on the JMW these gold finches were buzzing about

one or 2 speckled woods about

there seems to be more berries than ever before about this Autumn
great food source for the birds and insects



didn't notice the spider until much later

I found the "border" box on the photo editing software I use.
Not sure if it adds anything (more than a white border)



Lots of geese gather at Aberlady at the estuary.
there are a couple of small round photobombers in this pic

On the beach I said to Mary that I was off to check out the dunes where I saw a Common Blue last weekend. I spent a quick 5 mins hunting the area but was fairly sure there would be nothing flying. A Red Admiral came over and flew right up to my heart, possibly checking out the bright green strip of my gilet, before landing on a tree nearby. I interpreted this confrontation as either A/ that blue is perched in the leaves of this tree, or B/ you are on a wild goose chase mate that blue died last Thursday in the heavy downpours. I checked out the tree quickly but found nothing.


the Gullane Point Puffball

Most years around this time a puffball mushroom grows on the short grass just beyond Aberlady beach. This year I found it. Most years Mary is first to find it.








I keep forgetting to boast about my recent promotion as a (professional!) photographer. Back in May, Emma H who works in publishing asked if she could use a picture from this blog (of Nick in the snow on the Lammermuirs that time we went looking for Tony the dead airman,) to go in a book she was putting together. Every few months I clear out my hard-drive (of photos and videos) to an external drive. Somewhere between the 2, I had lost the original of this photo. I couldn't believe my very first venture as a professional photographer was about to fall at the first hurdle, since the book required a larger version than the one posted online. I hurriedly sent a few similar photos (outdoor scene without anyone being recognisable) that matched the criteria. 

Sometime later a small but not insignificant amount appeared in my bank account and this week a card arrived saying the postie was unable to deliver a package. Which turned out to be the finished project. And my photos appear on pp206 and 207. (The Tweed Valley social I led with the Carnethies, and Mary running in the snowy Lammermuirs. (Sorry Nick!)) The book is a lifestyle magazine type thing about all things Scottish with handsome(!) photos on every page. I was overly chuffed to get a beautifully packaged copy. Big thank you Emma!





1 comment: