Friday 29 December 2023

nearly nothing

 

On the 28th December the sun made a brief (although partial) appearance and I scurried along to Warriston to see if any of my old pals were interested in having their pics taken in return for a three way split of bread, seeds and peanuts. There was nearly nothing and only the grey wagtail saved the day and made me glad I'd bothered. We'll get to him in a moment. I took the old camera because it seemed like an old camera day and it (very much aware of the new camera, it's replacement, one assumes) behaved impeccably, giving no cheek and not even once doing that start-up shut-down thing it had been doing; first once in a blue moon, then about 1/6 of the time and occasionally 50% on a bad day. If I can avoid a trip to the repair shop then all to the good. The problem seems to be a hardware issue (the on/off button) rather than a cardiovascular or neurological thing. Thankfully.




First up some photos that remained on the old camera SD card from a similar expedition at the end of November. Again, a blue sky, again not much of note. Mary and I had a nice walk round Warriston only spoiled by 2 encounters with slightly rabid dogs behaving badly. One is rare - most dogs and owners are well behaved and I hadn't had a bad encounter in ages. First was just an overly barky dog which is never welcome when off lead and in your face. The owner apologised and said "it's a rescue dog" which in my book is not an acceptable excuse. Do you want a fucking prize for taking on a dog that shouldn't be off the lead and attacking folk? But at least an apology. The next one (within an hour) a mad yellow lab that I thought was going to sink its teeth into one of us and barked like a mental right up beside us until the owner came over and put it on a lead. I said something (and really polite considering the savaging being offered) along the lines of "you shouldn't have your dog off the lead if it is going to attack folk" and Mary said "it is really unpleasant." As he walked off with his rabid dog the owner, not a word of apology, said "you're really unpleasant" sotto voce. Like we were the problem. Absolute arsehole.

cunt with rabid dog





On the way home at the WoL riverside we met a robin and a dunnock who came out of the shrubs to eat some bread.




Anyway back to December 28th and today's photos. I hadn't been to Warriston in ages, being away in Tenerife for 2 weeks and quite busy the last few days before I left changing Euros and shopping for holiday gear. It (like everywhere) was fairly damp and muddy. The river was high but not worryingly so. There was no sign of the garden birds who will turn up at the East end of the riverside area except for a robin. No sign of the coal tits, chaffinches and bullfinches usually seen there. However near the tunnel the grey wagtail, fairly sure the resident one who lost his tail last year, was bobbing about, up and down the small stream that goes from the tunnel to the WoL. 



This was the highlight of the day. Particularly because he let me walk slowly over towards him. The light wasn't great and I knew a slow shutter speed would blur his constantly bobbing hindquarters. I crouched down and I wondered if he recognised me, letting me get so close.  Since we never really know there is a tendency to make up stories in your head. I went for a bit of a walk round the whole place afterwards and then returned through the tunnel later. He was just the other side and when he saw me approach, flew off in a great hurry shouting an alarm call. So maybe we aren't best buds after all?





With him being unusually obliging - often he would just walk in the opposite direction up the wee stream - I did wish I'd brought the G9. The light was a bit murky and the surroundings too, and the G9 is a gem for focussing on the eyes of birds. It is one less thing to worry about. I took dozens of photos and a few just about manage to avoid movement blur and look okay. Particularly when the sun came out.

Then he kind of stopped moving so much. Not asleep exactly as he was still looking upwards and keeping an eye on his surroundings, watching for predators etc. But definitely shut down most systems including that ever bobbing tail. I shot some video at this point as he was very still. A minute later he began to wake up and that rear motor got working again and then he got up and walked about as normal. 



sun out!


sun away!


local gangstas, the crow twins


right side

A good Winter gathering on either side of Peter Smellie this year. And across the middle. 20~30 in each location. Could be a hundred in total! How do they know and why this stone? Nice to see the oranges haven't been displaced like a lot of ladybird species, by harlequins which are going for world domination.

left side

middle

I was wondering if the crows would recognise me. I haven't been in weeks and I was wearing a different backpack (not the distinctive Hoka bag) and possibly different outfit to a degree. Or do they recognise aura or style of walking? Or height? Or smell!? Initially no crows, but then they flew close by suggesting they did recognise me, or were taking a punt on a random passer by. It paid off as there were so few other takers that they got the lions share of stuff I had with me. No point in carrying home old bread, so they got that. Enjoy your xmas bonus chaps!

the noble savage





No comments:

Post a Comment