Friday 12 April 2024

nest building

 

28th & 29th March
I nearly forgot this bunch of photos. It was more nearly-dull-grey weather of which March was brim-full. So I am just going to thrash through this quickly. (I am 4 blogs behind and need to race through to get up to date. I blame coming out of retiral for one last job.) (I have settled into not working nicely although I feel an obligation to do work for pals occasionally.) (I should really be doing any DIY for myself as my place is hugely neglected compared to anyone I work for.) I nearly hopped over them as there is not much of note but the sparrowhawk turned up and that is rare these days. And the robin with a beak full of sphagnum moss is worth the entry fee alone!


treecreeper


This crow followed us through St Marks park on the way home. We wondered if it was one of the Warriston crows hanging out with a gang of crows in St Marks. It seemed to know we had crow food with us and persisted in the way only the crows in Warriston do. I put some food out and it posed for pics. If only they wore nametags.




Next day (29th) back along to Warriston and there was actually some sunshine, a rare commodity during March. We went to the Botanics first and ken who we saw there....



Ken, who we saw at the Botanics


wren

magnolias

moorhen

tagged hairy footed flower bee




bullfinch (m)



bullfinch (f)


saw Sally from a distance


the tunnel grey wagtail



We got Maria (local E European tailor/mender/fixer) to line Mary's cammo jacket with brown fleece. It previously boasted a barbie pink lining and ruined the jacket (in my opinion.) Maria who has a shop 75 yards from our flat does a great job. She recently darned a couple of moth holes in my funeral cardigan. (An £80 dark jumper which I could no longer respectably wear to funerals with a couple of large holes in the arm. Virtually invisibly mended.) (She is a treasure, although fronts a gruff exterior and treats casual banter with suspicion.)

blue tit posing




A large puddle had appeared under the East Gate and was such a near-permanent fixture a mallard pair had settled there. I was a bit disappointed not to get better photos as the sun off the green head of the male was spectacular to behold. I quickly bought their trust with some duck food, so the photos should have been better. But they were moving all the time and wouldn't hold still.









Just as we were leaving we noticed Rosanna sitting near the war memorial. She has a knack of turning up when the sparrowhawk is available. I don't know how they coordinate it but I rarely see one without the other. Maybe the sparrowhawk is always about. Just I never see it. Anyway Mary was ready for lunch and headed off, I went over to Rosanna for a quiet chat and to watch the sparrowhawk gather sticks for nest building. After a discussion about nestbuilding I stood off to one side to discourage the hawk from thinking there was a crowd gathering. I think it saw through our plan and after a while stopped gathering sticks. I took another couple of pics then headed off as I didn't want to discourage it from making a home in Warriston. As I was saying bye to Rosanna it flew over and sat directly above us in the tree. Unfortunately the light and line of sight didn't allow for decent photos. But good to see it for the first time in ages. 



removing twigs for nest building

Rosanna









I had a last turn around the riverside area which included this robin with a beakful of moss for nest lining. I could see the consternation in its eye because here was I putting out food and here was it with a mouthful of moss and no way to eat it. As a compromise it sat nearby watching, unable to choose between moss or food.




the blue tits were straight in











A very pleasant way to spend the day and nice to see so many appreciative garden birds out and about. That they have made the long journey through another Winter.












No comments:

Post a Comment