Friday 2 February 2024

back to the future

 

30-01-24
A Tuesday with sunshine! Mary suggested we take the Berlingo out for a run. It hadn't been started in 5 weeks but turned over first time. Phew! Although we had to wait 15minutes after I scraped the outside windscreen free of ice, until the inside windscreen de-misted. We had decided on a double date to Gullane. Or rather, first we'd run the 6 mile route we used to do most weekends, then change into warm, dry clothes and have a walk with cameras, looking for birds and wildlife. 

parked at the public toilets

ran down the John Muir Way

wigeon at Aberlady reserve


out along by the golf course



skylark

I was carrying the TZ100 compact camera for the run bit. It was capable of recording the scenery and really there wasn't much more than that. The light was good, it was great to get a bit of sunshine, although it was fairly cold. I was a little concerned we might see all the interesting wildlife while I had the compact and then when I swapped it for the walking bit later, see nothing. However on the run through the reserve there was a complete lack of anything interesting. The kestrel was absent. No sign of short eared owls. Not even much in the way of shoreline waders. I wasn't sure if that was something to be glad about or not.

In fact the only thing we saw in abundance was photographers. We passed about 5 or more between the wooden bridge and Marl Loch - dudes (and a dudess) with long lens cameras no doubt in search of owls etc. I suspect they may have gone home without much joy. That said just because there wasn't any evidence of material when we ran through doesn't mean there wouldn't be 10 minutes later. However no owly pics have since appeared on Lothian Birdwatch fb group. 

Another point to mention: I found the photo of that skylark above, really poor quality. The skylark was unusually obliging and sat very close by, on the top of a hummock in great light. I took several shots before it flew off, the best of which is posted above. However the focus is, at best, on the tail, and there is movement blur and generally it is just shit. A few years ago this might have been an acceptable standard. It goes to show how getting a couple of far better cameras has changed my perception of what is acceptable. Which is not to say ALL my photos are much better. But generally I am keener to produce better results.

Lovely to see and hear skylarks setting out their stalls this early.


the TZ100 is fine for scenery
(as long as you limit the zoom)





When Mary reached the beach, (a bit ahead of myself) she let out a whoop and set off at a gallop. There was no plan to our run or that we would do some tempo pace along the beach. However as there was nothing to photograph (I think all the shoreline birds were further up the estuary) I tried lifting the pace as well. The tailwind certainly encouraged it. I found anything faster than 7.30pace required a bit of discomfort down my right glute/hamstring. It is a sciatica problem I had exactly this time last year and I think is a response to the colder weather, and age. I have been avoiding hard workouts to try to not turn it into something worse. I looked up some exercises and hope I can be arsed to do them sometime but they are kinda yoga mat boring and it's not my favourite game. I do a bit of a massage with the magic stick now and again which I'm hoping is enough. I took the pace up to about 6.10 minute miles at times, remembering I used to do bursts of sub5m/m down this beach. It is best not to dwell on what one used to be able to do.




I failed to catch up with Mary who is able to stretch out and run fast(er) for the first time in nearly a year, albeit she has to monitor what she does with a lot of caution. It was last Feb she succumbed to injury that kept her from running. This year, so far, is looking considerably more positive.



Aberlady Beach at low tide




viburnum blossom,(?) Gullane
at the holly blue ivy wall opposite St Adrian's




Mary did an extra lap and a half, round the green to bring it up to 6 miles. We then had some food out the coop and re-parked the Berlingo at the beach car park before changing into hiking clothes and walking a few miles with cameras. 


6 miles, run clockwise in about 90mins

steaming along on an ironing board

There was a guy in Gullane Bay doing what I believe is called Wing Foiling. Using a hand held inflated wing to power a board which rises out the water on a submerged hydrofoil. Looks a bit like riding an ironing-board. The coldness of the day made me grateful my hobbies of running and taking wildlife photos do not (often) require going in the Scottish sea. I spoke to the Wing Foiler: he was going to his car about the same time as we were and he said it "wasn't that bad". That hands do get cold as it is difficult to operate the equipment with thick gloves on. But it wasn't too cold. (Ha!) He was out there for at least an hour! He was quite a bit younger than myself, but I think having good equipment (neoprene balaclava etc.) might be part of it. My feelings were that wild horses wouldn't get me out there. 

reluctant bullfinchers

It felt like there was a massive lack of any birds about the place. I had got that feeling while running and it continued for the couple of hours we walked about hunting them. Since Aberlady had seemed empty of wildlife when we ran through, (nothing on the shoreline, nothing on the savannah,), we headed East along the coast and back on the shore. Apart from the crows and an occasional robin, oh and some reluctant bullfinches, there was a dearth of anything to point the camera at. Hence the pics of the Wing Foilers. Number one guy was joined latterly by number 2 guy.

It was very jolly being out in decent weather but the lack of wildlife was really quite disappointing and coloured my day. I know I should be grateful to be out on a weekday cutting loose and taking photos, and I was, but it could have been a good deal better as well. 

Mary in the woods





We have seen this pair with their individually wrapped spaniels
a couple of times out recently around Gullane. About 8~10 dogs!











and that was that;
a good day out but not a great day out
at least the car got a decent run and performed well!

2.86 miles walked in 1hr 40m











2 comments: