Tuesday 23 January 2024

everything but the kingfisher

 

17-01-24
Another failed kingfisher hunt but a great day out nevertheless, mainly because the sky was cloudless and although REALLY cold outside there was lots to point the camera at.


I had seen online photos of the absent Mr KF at Roseburn. I presumed Roseburn although the photo only said Water of Leith. There seems to be an increase in WoL kingfisher photos of late so I packed the bag and jumped on a bus and tram combination to take me to Roseburn (tram stop Murrayfield) and walk downstream from there. Initial results were frustratingly short of kingfisher. The light was fantastic around the Dean Gallery bridge where we've photoed a male kingfisher several times and the colours of reflections and everything was perfect. Just no bird. I walked back and forth the stretch several times. A goosander flew over and splashed down a bit along the river. I went upstream and threw some bread which brought it over as quickly as if it was a dog waiting for a stick to be thrown.




waiting for a (bread) stick to be thrown



I reflected on this and how goosanders in the Borders have learned to hate humans and fly away from them as quickly as possible because of the persecution: goosanders take fish from the rivers and the fishing industry has decided to eliminate this natural predator. Up here where folk throw bread for the duckies, the goosanders now associate (some) humans as a food source and if you throw stuff near them they will scoot over for a look.


There are some great reflections on the water on that stretch and I deliberately tossed bread out into the stream at that point in order to take advantage of the colours on the water. Although I do like a goosander - they are very elegant birds and superb swimmers both above and below the waterline.






I think I gave the kingfisher about 30 minutes to appear. It was very cold for hanging about. I had dressed very warmly with a LOT of layers, 2 pairs of gloves, a buff AND hat and warm socks and shoes. But it was still too cold to just stand and wait for a bird that might not appear all day. And the light would be marvelous elsewhere. Where there would be birds. I began to imagine the Botanics a flutter with all sorts of birds and thought I'd rather be there than here in the absence of any kingfishers, let's go!

time to leave Gormley and head downstream

Hygeia looking great at St Bernard's Well

Going along the Pizza Express riverside path I thought I'd divert by Inverleith Pond. I suspected the water would be frozen over and it might make for interesting photos. I was glad I did as again the light was amazing and the gulls were looking great standing around dreamily on the ice. I got some bread out quietly as I didn't want to be mobbed by the greedy & noisy black-headed gulls but there was a pied wagtail I hoped to lure near enough for a close up. It was just a singular specimen hopping about the edges of the pond.



immature gull

most of the b-h gulls have lost their darker head markings for Winter


one coot was out near the centre of the pond and 
made a great subject with its striking red eye



moorhen



pied wagtail


impression of the Rev Walker on Duddingston loch








I was most of the way across the park, heading for the Botanics when I remembered to check the holly bushes (still with lots of berries) at the centre statue of the park where there had been a group of redwings feeding. None today. No idea why. They were maybe off at the same conference as the kingfishers.


I had seen photos on Lothian Birdwatch of folk with botanic's robins on their hands and I have to admit to this being one of the main draws. They had been taken at the distinctive red railed bridge beside the Chinese Pond. Sure enough when I got there, there were 2 robins. The first one was not very happy about another moving in on his patch and would chase it about every now and then, the 2 of them flying in tight formation round the pondside bushes. In the past there has been 2 robins occupying this same area, the normal one and the scruffy one. No sign of the catweazle one recently I'm sad to say. Anyway, between battles for territory the 2 robins were very happy to come really close for pieces of bread and seemed very happy to pose for photos as well. The trouble with my new camera is, without changing lenses I can't photograph my own hand (with perched robin.) 







With most water sources being frozen various animals and birds turned up to the Chinese Pond hoping it would provide a drink. There was a wet bit around the edge where the sun had returned the ice to its original condition, and various birds and a squirrel turned up to have a drink. 









Meanwhile I was busy taking photos of the robin on the railing. I had left little piles of seeds and bread out for it although it seemed to enjoy the attention almost as much as the food. A couple of "birdwatchers but not ornithologists" noticed this going on and were chatting to me when a squirrel came over on the lookout for some food. Without even asking it ran up my leg and helped me get some seeds out the pocket of my backpack. The couple can't have been regulars as they had never seen anything so cheeky. Right enough it is a while since I've seen such a brazen squirrel. As long as it had its nose in the foodbag it was happy to let me stroke it and play with its tail. 


brazen squirrel

I noticed this wren coming down to the edge of the pond for water


wren sipping iced water




LTT


 bullfinch (f)



Ken who I saw at the Botanics
Ken and Lucinda

Really nice to bump into Ken and Lucinda. We stood chatting while a variety of birds came to check out the pond - most looking for drinking water. A lovely way to pass the time. The robins and squirrels are pretty much always there but it was great to see siskins which I haven't seen in ages. And later a redwing crept in hoping to go unnoticed. And bullfinches were in the vicinity too. I think Ken was saying redpolls are spotted regularly, or were, this time last year.



siskins



redwing



The proximity of this robin - clearly soliciting for a handout - encouraged Ken to get some birdseed out. This answered my conundrum of how to take a photo of the robin on my hand when the long lens won't focus as close as that: use someone else's hand! (I didn't want to change the lens over, for just one or 2 pics of friendly robins and squirrels, although the photo opportunities were so good maybe I should have. Instead I got my phone out and shot some footage and stills of the brazen squirrel.)


Ken and robin both wearing the same colour of jacket.


bullfinch (m)




I said au revoir to K&L and headed off. I wanted to go home via Warriston and check how things were there, before the light went. There wasn't that much going on at the cemetery although the crows were very pleased to see me. I dropped off the last of my bird snacks above the crypts where there was some golden hour sunshine. The crow with the healed cut above his right eye (Scarface) sat on a gravestone looking regal. The wonderful light and him being relaxed made for some images I am really pleased with. I hadn't really been excited by the photoshoot at the time and it was only when I got home that I realised they were among the most striking photos of a long day of loads of well-lit images. 

chaffinch





below the crypts crow

above the crypts crow

healed wound above eye
(I suspect another crow did this.)



perfect light on glossy plumage - what could be better?!


The photo above is my favourite close-up of the day. You can tell from the horizontal reflection of the sky on the eye it was taken in this orientation and not artfully rotated in post. I should claim it was all deliberate, but it wasn't. Mr Crow must have suddenly leant forwards making an unusual crop (first rule of crow club, never cut off the beak!) and unusual angle, but the animal auto-focus kept the focus sharply on the eye. However with such a short depth of field it gives a feeling of tension and movement to the rest of the bird's head.

It is only when they are lit really well you can tell their eyes are rich red brown not black. It was a great finale to a great day and just shows the benefit of the sun being out. Firstly, lots of birds show themselves, and with a bit of good fortune the photos are much better than usual. (PLUS all that cheering vitamin D.) I really enjoyed a few miles walk around the city and seeing all the wildlife as well as looking at all the images when I got home and choosing the top hundred to tweak and post here. It gives me a sense of purpose and a good way to spend the dull days (writing up the day and editing video etc.) when the sun isn't out, which is more often in January than not. There isn't much going on currently that thrills me, but today was an exception, and a day definitely worth getting out of bed for.




7.5 miles in 4hrs and home for 3.15pm
782 photos taken, edited to around 100












2 comments: