Monday 25 September 2023

wheatear revisited

 

18th September and a hike up the Seat. Mary has been doing reps up and down Crow Hill to get her knee used to a bit of impact with a view to returning to running soon. Given she has been out of action for 6 months or more it is a long slow process. Part of that process has been going up the hill and back at walking pace. It burns calories and flexes the part of her knee that needs a re-introduction to running. Occasionally I go along too and always keep an eye out for the wheatear. I assume there's one and it's the same as last time though a fellow birder used the phrase wheatearS recently and got me wondering. Never seen more than one at a time.

ruby tiger moth caterpillar

We saw this hairy caterpillar at the bottom of the new steps up the Gutted Haddie. I stopped to get the camera out and take a photo giving Mary a minute or 2 head start. We were racing of course and it took me the entire hill to catch her where the ground levelled off below the summit. We don't really do the summit as there's no wildlife there and too many tourists. Instead Crow Hill, where wheatear (singular) and occasional admirals lurk. 




Today there was a stiff breeze that would ruffle anyone's feathers. The wheatear has still not flown off to Africa, can't be long now, although the bizarre warm and wet weather may be confusing for some. But the hectic wind was keeping Mr W low to the ground and huddling between rocks rather than his usual perches on the tops of rocks. I approached close enough for photos which is generally 2 yards too close and he retreated. I move slowly and with stealth. He hops about, keeping an eye on me. Mary only has her compact camera and finds the wind and the distance from the bird too tricky to bother. I keep circling but haven't got a decent photo yet. But the light is good and you never know. The bird never flies off but just hops  a few yards to the next position.














the other bird on Crow Hill



We have followed the wheatear right round in a large circle and are back at the start. I decide against round 2. I wonder what does the bird make of this? Does he enjoy the company or am I just a potential predator trying to get close enough for a pounce? I think he realises I am not any kind of danger and that he could fly off at any point if I got too close. I hope he doesn't find my company too much of a bother. If he can read minds he'd hear me singing his praises and delighted to get some images of this beautiful specimen before he takes to the air and flies unimaginable distances to the very same spot he spent last Winter, possibly the same tree, the same perches, distant memories in his delicate bird brain.

just to show the sort of breeze we are talking about


"The rain set early in to-night,
       The sullen wind was soon awake,
It tore the elm-tops down for spite,
       And did its worst to vex the lake:..."


speckled wasp




keep this quiet but M has been doing a few running steps
on soft surfaces but if I say anything I'll jinx it, so shhhhhhh!



No comments:

Post a Comment