Wednesday 2 August 2023

bike to postman's walk

 

19th July
Writing as I am at the beginning of August it is difficult to think back to the sunny days of July and remember what it was like to have some decent butterfly weather. Back then you could jump on a bike, be out all day and come home without having ever thought of the rain jacket in the pannier bag. Now, as Europe hides indoors from a heatwave, Scotland hides indoors from continual gloom and long dreary showers. Anyway, gives me time to catch up on some recent days out while complaining about the weather.



I cycled to Aberlady in an hour. I was booting it for the joy of cycling and noticed I hit the hour at 15miles taking a further 2 minutes to the end of the village where the dirt path field perimeter of Postman's Walk starts. No sign of 2nd brood Holly Blues there but halfway along the perimeter, just as the cut grass stops, past the electrical or teletphone posts, I came across a busy female jumping from flowerhead to flowerhead. Not daisies but something similar looking. It turned in circles as it worked and made a good subject for photos. Not much opening of wings but just enough to show the dark grey wingtip bands that denote female.








Further on I bumped into Bob. He was here for the holly blues but remarked more about the variety of also rans which as well as the ubiquitous meadow browns included small torts (now almost as rare as), commas, and small skippers. And a small copper that was possibly the best I'd seen this year. Not that many to compete with. They were mostly within the vicinity of a couple of thistle bushes not far from the photo above. It was great to see so many species and individuals in the same area.


small skipper



small tortoiseshell


small copper


meadow brown



comma






On the return along the field I assumed I saw the same female, however this one had a bulge on the rear right side wing the other did not. I also saw a couple of (presumably) male holly blues but they were so busy looking for love they didn't have time to stop for a photo.






a resting male - quite unusual today and in the minority




Although it looks like the female above is egglaying I think it is more precise to say she is going through the motions of egglaying. I noticed a couple of places she placed the back of her abdomen up against foliage and buds, and I checked them afterwards with no sign of eggs having been laid. I imagine there are a number of criteria she must recognise before actually dispensing eggs.

another comma



The weather was now very much scorchio and I was surprised there weren't more holly blues about: max 3 of either gender as far as I counted. I later concluded I was possibly a little ahead of schedule and most of the local colony were possibly still to emerge. Unfortunately the weather hasn't been conducive to popping back since. I hope it hasn't washed away all those butterflies who have emerged recently. I got the feeling the small coppers and NBAs earlier in the season, had very poor showings locally in the Lothians due to similar weather just as they were emerging. Happily that was not the case all over Scotland.


When I left the Walk I popped into the local shop for a sandwich and drink to get me home. Who should I bump into but Mary who was on a longer (less butterfly-based) cycle. (As we chatted and I ate my sandwich, a holly blue flew past Mary's head and into the garden behind. I looked but could not find it and wondered if it was some sort of hallucination.) We cycled together to Longniddry where she turned up towards Haddington and I cycled home along the coast road. Very pleasant trip out! About 34.5 miles cycled as I went back via the Brunstane Burn seeing, but unable to photograph a lively holly blue along the path.








1 comment:

  1. Lovely images especially the first Holly Blue.
    Our July was mostly crap so you did well!

    ReplyDelete