Thursday 8 September 2022

back to running

 

28th Aug
I am finding it hard to involve myself in the running world. There was a time I was super keen and would be out training at least 5 times a week. Then lockdown happened. With all events cancelled, I lost the reason to train hard and relaxed too much into just going out with a camera. That has replaced my competitive spirit and although I have been making efforts to get back to some sort of fitness, I struggle to find the motivation to get out purely for the sake of running. I am fast approaching 60 (next month) and would have liked to go into my 60s super fit and winning age group prizes. Also, as you get older, you realise fitness is an imperative, not an option. The reason for keeping in shape is there every set of stairs you climb, every hill you cycle. With all that in mind I have been getting out with Nick a few weeks in a row now, generally if the weather has not been up to butterflying snuff



Mostly I haven't been blogging these days out as I have been too busy breathing hard as Nick disappears over the horizon. Also, as stated, they are often poor weather days so I won't be distracted by butterflies. I have enjoyed a few workouts and particularly going into the Pentlands. Mary and I used to run in the Pentlands every weekend, and they are a great place to get away from the tourists and phone zombies in town. Nick is working his way back from injury, and while unable to do anything longer than just into double figure mileage, there is nothing wrong his short-and-fast game. He has always been quicker going uphill than myself so these days has even longer to stand at the top of a climb to wait on the old guy puffing up to meet him. 



yes, that distant silhouette is Nick

nearly very attractive scenery





The guy in the photo above was out dog-walking. He heard me wheezing by on the way up - by now a hundred yards behind Nick - and said it was easier walking. I assured him I'd be trying that out very shortly. We waved hello on the way down again after a quick jog over to the summit of Capelaw and back.



The best part of the route (which we pretty much made up as we ran) was a contouring single-track trod round Green Craig, north of Allemuir. It has a dramatic drop off on the left but is safe enough to run flat out. We had passed the most impressive bit by the time I got the camera switched on. It descends to the tracks we had already covered. We ran past Swanston towards Hillend then dropped down and returned to the car park. 7.25 miles in an hour fifteen. A decent workout and a reminder of how good getting out into the hills can be. 



7.25 miles in 75 mins

31st Aug
Next up a similarly enjoyable run at Gullane, 3 days later. Mary has very cautiously been putting a few running miles into her walking regime. She has had to be super-patient as early attempts to run immediately set off the injury round the back of her knee that has been threatening for many months now. She knows better than try to run through it or provoke it. All the walking has been strengthening her legs and the return to running miles (with a suitable warm up before) has been very carefully monitored. Often I am warned to shut up or run at a distance as she needs to focus on form and feedback. 


walking from the car park to the beach


It was really nice to be back to where we used to run nearly every weekend. I can't remember the year we swapped the Pentlands for the coastal trails of Gullane. But the changing scenery of the beaches and trails has more variety than the Pentlands, which are pretty much the same every week bar the changing seasons and weather. Generally there is more wildlife along the coast and big weather can dramatically change the coastline. 

group of oldies enjoying a walk

Aberlady beach across to Edinburgh



sea rocket

This sea rocket was about the most promising patch for butterflies. Mary ran on as I checked it for butterflies. A red admiral flew up and off seaward. Good luck with that crossing to Fife you tosser, I shouted in complaint. A couple of fly-by whites also flew by, not waiting for a photo. 

graylag geese

speckled wood on sea buckthorn



Mary was not for stopping. Possibly because her injury didn't like stop-starting. She knew I would catch up. I'd get distracted by the likes of this little egret at the bridge. It was a particularly drab background so I went along past the toilets to get a better/closer view. It does look a bit ministry of silly walks with its yellow flipflops and long stiff-legged strides. 






I thought there might be some butterflies along the JMW by the golf course but nope. Just these 2 goldfinch chicks, making a racket to get their hassled parent to feed them. Back into Gullane and I think we might have bought food and sandwiches at the coop and sat in the car filling our faces. Mary was feeling so upbeat after a successful run without inducing pain and injury, that she conceded to my suggestion we check out the sunflower field at Luffness. A few years ago when this first appeared we found 8 species of butterfies and moths on them. Since then it hasn't been attracting the same enthusiasm (no idea why) but is just so visually pleasing it is worth a wander and a few photos.



this should have had a few butterfly visitors



So we parked on the roadside and had a quick wander through the field of sunflowers. It was lovely if a bit deserted by insects. Quite a few bees and hoverflies but no butterflies other than a couple of small whites. And a ladybird, and a wasp. 

Hopefully this was the beginning of Mary's return to running. She has been out a few times since and although cautious, it is looking good. We even did Holyrood parkrun. I'll probably blog that shortly as it was my first 'race' in about 16 months. Also there is a large and very exciting adventure on the horizon this month. More on that in due course.






6 miles, 90 mins




3 comments:

  1. Did the Ben race last Saturday - legs are still in bits & that's with slowest time ever in 17 times. Creeping nearer to cutoff's every time !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brave, and well done Colin. I am being very careful with what I sign up for, to avoid exactly that sort of outcome and result.

    ReplyDelete