Monday 15 August 2022

constitutional

 

30th July and 7th Aug
Since Mary is still unable to run (a few miles throws up a knee problem) she has been keeping fit by doing regular walks, usually at least 5 miles, and most often round Holyrood. I have been going along too, and find this has been a decent alternative for my lack of running mojo. We chat and have a laugh and take photos along the way, gradually getting to know and linking together, a few of the best spots for wildlife. Which change quite rapidly, and reflect the flowers and foodplants available, and species on the go. 

2 kestrels

On the 30th July I was recovering from the run the day before at the rickety fence. I had raced the last few miles to the train which left my legs, (particularly quads, as they took the downhill impact), trashed. I felt a decent walk round Holyrood might be the best cure for them. The sun was a bit smudged with cloud cover and it was late in the afternoon but I was not working and keen to get out and see what was about. Not very much, judging by a trek up the stone-trap. Although I did see a pair of kestrels high above hunting for furries in the long grass. 


I bumped into Ken as well
who was working his way round in the opposite direction


No further photos until I got round to Duddingston. I was looking for the mystery blue(s) I had seen along the wee path by the spring. I was pretty sure I had seen a holly blue and wanted a photo. But it was not to be. I think this might have been the occasion I saw another fly-by blue and it made me even more sure I would eventually get a photo to confirm. There was a mini explosion of Duddingston holly blues but it was a week or more before I finally got some pics - during/after the August heatwave. Patience and a bit of luck - and returning regularly to check the right spots. 

So I took a photo of the ripening brambles. It was only when I got home I realised I had taken a photo of a common darter sat on top of the brambles - I really hadn't seen it when I took the photo. I had been hoping to see more commas but nothing this time.

the "spring"

damselfly





large white


action shot!
even though I missed the large white I quite like the sense of movement



This common darter sat very nicely for photos. It was about eye level and let me move round (slowly) without flying off. The sun was really baking down by now and it went into Obelisk Pose - aiming its tailend at the sun to reduce the amount of exposure to a minimum, and avoid overheating. 




obelisk pose




I left Duddingston by the steps; 200+ long flat slabs that take you up the boundary wall. At the top instead of proceeding left and further up to the Queen's Drive, I followed the boundary wall right which eventually leads down to the Meadowbank entrance. My attention was caught by a very bright orange comma and fresh peacock both sat high on the wall. It was 5pm by now and I hadn't been expecting any further butterfly action. Yet here were the best 2 specimens I'd seen all afternoon. 

Between me and them was a jungle of flowering bramble (with some nearly dead buddleia on the wall nearby). Enough elements to attract a handful of late afternoon butterflies. As I edged into the jaggies for photos more appeared and it turned into a really great hotspot for passing trade as well as tired travellers who just wanted a warm stone to perch on for a rest. I made a mental note of where the otherwise anonymous spot was and planned to return earlier in the day.


number one comma - and best


number 2 comma - unfinished jigsaw aberration 😁


brand new peacock



number 3 comma - just passing through



meadow brown

7th Aug
That trip encouraged me to look for new hotspots like the brambles on the boundary. A week later I returned with Mary. She had found a few small coppers and graylings on Whinny Hill so we started there. There are lots of rosebay willowherb in flower all over holyrood currently.





literally dry dam

invisible grayling

then we went up crow hill
to look for painted ladies, walls and RAs (none!)




lots of swallows

2 walls on ragwort


I spent quite a lot of the time complaining.
"There should be tons of butterflies on those yellow flowers!"


black headed gull

tasty brambles



We ended up at the brambles on the boundary again. It took a while for a few butterflies to materialise but we eventually there were speckleds, a comma, peacocks, an RA and meadow browns. Also a common darter nearby. Unfortunately as the brambles and buddleia nearby faded, so did the place's attraction. On subsequent visits there was never as much wildlife.

speckled wood

common darter (in sun)

same, in shade

peacock

red admiral



meadow brown



number 2 comma



g v w

grayling



common darter


number one comma

yellow damsons?

red admiral

wall (f)






 light coloured meadow brown showing self awareness (??)
by landing on similar coloured leaves


first leaves turning


mistake surely?

One of my pet hates is the abortion they have made of Leith Walk. Firstly, there was no need for trams - you cannot go anywhere on a tram that wasn't already covered more than adequately by buses that don't require rails and overhead cables, can be re-routed and are just as 'green' as the trams. The project was started in 2008 and should have been binned when the organisers made the largest fiscal mistake in the history of the Edinburgh council.

Recently parts (not all, just parts) of Leith Walk were opened for the first time since 2008 to reveal an uninstinctive jumble of cyclepaths, pedestrian and car lanes with trams and buses fighting for space now the large central tram reservations take up much of the road. You have to cross a busy road to catch a tram from the central reservation and bus stops make the cyclepaths zig-zag round them.

cars on pavement - good planning?

It is the epitome of bad urban planning and layout despite having 14 years to organise this properly. A good example of this bad planning is the junction of Brunswick Street which used to be a through road for cars heading south up Leith Walk; and still is - except there is a pavement there instead, which cars are now crossing with little regard for the pedestrians. 

Some people think the best aspect of all of this is that it will be such a nightmare to negotiate in a car that many will find alternative routes and stay well clear of the area. I suspect that is optimistic and would place bets that there will just be loads of minor accidents and more unhappiness as a result of the foolish idea that Edinburgh needs a vanity project like trams in the first place. Absolute arseholes.







No comments:

Post a Comment