Friday 16 August 2019

Scurry to the Sea 2019


28th July
Now I may not have done this race again if it wasn't a club champs event. Because last year I won it, slightly by default, and, frankly, this year there was no way I'd be doing that again: the only way was down, so to speak. And when I say default, I mean David's default mostly. He missed a checkpoint leaving the win to myself. I knew there would be more competition this year. (Another double decker of entries.) Which I wasn't frightened of; just realistic about. So that, and the early morning, and the quite hefty entry fees might have been enough to put me off. But since it was a club champs race and I like the course, well why not give it another bash?

photo Kate Freedman

So an early start. I am not a keen early riser unless there is good reason. And I have no idea why this one kicks off so early. We had to be at Musselburgh for about 7.30am which means a breakfast at six something for a race that only starts at 9am. And for no reason. Also unless you get an early entry I think the cost is quite high. Was it £25 or more? Although we are paying for a 10 mile bus ride, the Water of Leith Half Marathon does this for half the entry price.

However on the positive side, it is well organised by a good crew who put on many well run races and although they don't do the full range of age group and team prizes you might find at a club organised event they do have a good team at check points cheering you on, and you get a tasty selection of homebakes at the finish line. And as much Active Root as you want to drink.

at the Hermitage
photo thanks to Kate Freedman

This year David was first off up the hill. He blew it last year after a strong start and so had something to prove this year. I was glad to see him taking no prisoners on the first climb. I knew Nicola would also be way ahead of me on the uphill but hoped to catch her before long. I chugged up the hill just behind Donald, then went past him just before the top. I was a handful of seconds slower to the trig point than last year. I put this down to the mist making the grass just a wee bit slippier. On the way off the hill I caught up with Nicola. If she really wanted to beat me I reckon she could have, but her sights were more on the international qualifier the following weekend which won her a place on the Irish National Team again.

I wasn't quite sure what place I was in when a small group formed around the Cockmylane path of Roly S, Alex D and myself. We could see Mr Limmer up ahead on long straights and he seemed to have a handsome lead. On reflection I think we were the top 4 unless anyone dropped out. When we went into the Braid Valley Park, Alex was ahead and I took an early right over the bridge leading Roly and I up and across the road just metres ahead of Alex and all 3 of us jumped the wall at the back of the car wash. Unfortunately the pace was more than I could sustain and I slowly dropped off the back of the other 2 before the wall jump and road across to Inch Park. I was very unhappy to see David appear from the right, cursing. He had done it again, somehow going wrong somewhere. I encouraged him to catch the other 2 who were now about 100 yards ahead and he set off looking like maybe he would.

As I went across that supermarket car park (in 4th place) and up and over the stepped bridge I saw a small group crossing the car park not far behind. Was that 2 Porty vests? Best keep the pace going. I knew they would be chasing me down. I pushed hard as the rain began to fall. First a light drizzle, then a heavy shower and then the heavens opened. Not good! I sploshed on not really enjoying it much any more. I was very relieved to get to the beach unmolested but could sense Peter B (new Porty) closing in fast. I took a decent line over the beach, knowing the smooth sand of the tide line would be faster than the horribly soft sand of higher up. But I could feel the other Peter catching me and possibly took a direct line towards the finish line slightly too soon. He stuck to the wet sand and went past me with less than a hundred yards to go. I really should have given him a harder time for disrespecting his senior club mates in the closing seconds of a race! 😄

the real PB and Donald
photo Kate Freedman

I believe a similar outcome happened with Roly getting past Alex by choosing a better line across the beach to win his first ever race. David didn't quite catch the winners, coming third. Donald was hot on my heels and afterwards Mary took photos of the 2 of us looking like we'd only just survived. Mary had opted not to race but turned up to take photos at the finish line. The rain was still lashing down and it was pretty unpleasant. (The weather had improved loads by the time we got down to Gullane later in the afternoon.) I took a short while sitting down before I could talk. I was less than 90 secs slower than last year so felt I had done okay, especially in those conditions. Nicola was first lady and arrived a minute later. 

when you've overdone it

Roly (winner), fake (fast) Peter B, real (old) Peter B, Alex (second)
photo Mary

Nicola, first lady
photo Mary

first over 40 male (16 years over 40)
photo Kate Freedman

I felt quite a bit better once I'd changed into dry clothes and retrieved my heart and lungs from halfway along the beach. (Although I did feel a bit trashed during the 6 mile warm down with Mary at Gullane afterwards.) Thanks to the organisers and Active Root and Kate for the photos. One thing everyone agreed on this year - all who ran said their legs were absolutely fried. I don't remember this being the case last year, but all who ran this year were feeling brutalised with DOMS that went on for days afterwards. Someone said it might have been the run across the soft sand on tired legs, but that was pretty similar last year. There was definitely something in the recipe that made for burst quads and calfs for a few days. Not sure why it was not there last year. Anyway I was pleased to make the top 5 and win the only age group prize they were presenting. If I have any sense I will walk away from this event before it becomes hugely popular and I slip horribly down the field.




No comments:

Post a Comment