Saturday 22 June 2019

Traprain Law Hill Race 2019


Where did June go? Back on the 8th, Nick and I decided to do Traprain Law race. It is sold as a (Carnethy organised) hill race but is really an out-and-back trail race up and down the riverside near East Linton with a hill at the other end mip-point. It has a river wade which adds to the fun. Mary (having first done a run in the morning) came along to take photos. The best place to do this is at the river crossing, in case anyone goes for an early bath. Mary did a great job of setting off early and running to the spot on the other side just before the first runners came through.


I have done this race a handful of times and know you can get stuck behind folk on the narrow trails at the start and so it is advisable to leg it from the off. I noticed although I was in 7th place going through east Linton I was also 3rd m50. (In fact I was 4th as I hadn't realised Nasher had had a birthday since last we raced and was now m50 too.) There was no way I was catching Rab but thought if I could shadow Jamie on the out I might catch him on the back. I "let" him get one place ahead on the trail but due to the caffeine shouting faster pussycat! kill! kill! I accidentally overtook him just before the swim section.

all these poolside photos: Mary

madness







There is a steep climb out the river on muddy slip. It nearly levels off in a tussocky field then after stepping over the fence you come up to this horribly steep tarmac ascent. I could hear my lungs rattle as I slowed to granny pace but at least there wasn't a rush of folk going past. Another flattish field at the top before you cut over the road crossing where after this short respite the gradient gets properly hill racey up the side of Traprain Law. Just as I was thinking "if I can keep the Thin man behind me to the top here I might be able to stay ahead" he went galloping past and legged it up the sheer rock face. Jamie is a far better hill runner than I am but this being a trail race I thought I might gain some ground in the second half and didn't throw in the towel.

steep climb on tarmac

Roland getting ahead on the rock

these photos: thanks Mike L!

how bald?
All that living like a monk is paying off?

just like that



In previous years a kind soul has placed climbing ropes on the first steep 60 feet of rock climb so you could arm-over-arm up the worst of the climb. No sign of them this year, but the rock was fairly dry and not too bad. It is steep though, and leaves you leg-tired and shaking by the top at which point Bob M takes a photo. Remember to smile! Although I didn't see Jill (first lady) during the race and wasn't aware of her, you can see she has made a huge amount up from the river crossing over the climb up to the top and is now right behind me. I am smiling because I know the worst is over and it is all downhill from here.

You do have to be a little careful here though as the descent off the hill is steep and feels runnable, but it is off-camber and hides bricks and ankle twisting rocks just under the surface. Olly S dnf-ed here a few years back after twanging an ankle right in front of me and I have since avoided any hell-for-leather inclinations, knowing this section should be done with caution which can then be thrown to the wind for the remaining 3 flatter miles.

thanks Bob for photo!


HERE = misdirection

trail race with a hill in the middle

At this point something happened that changed the race. Those who saw the results without explanation will have thought, my my! Buchanan must be in good form to have got THAT far up the field. Well yes and no. I am in okay shape but not exceptional. What was exceptional was that there was an arrow pointing up the hill when we came off the descent and the marshal at that point didn't know the route and to send the runners left and downhill, not right and uphill. The first 5 (Vegan Runner, Nasher, Rab, Nick, Jamie) followed the arrow. By the time Jamie in 5th place had reached the road, questions were being asked and I think the marshal was confirming on his phone that runners should be going downhill. Jamie went up the road a short bit, but by the time I reached the road he was coming back down. No sign of the first 4 and I wondered if they would continue back the route we had taken to the hill, or turn around and retrace their steps. Of more immediate concern was that Jamie and I were now in first and second place. Pretty sure I have never led a hill race at halfway and although I didn't anticipate holding the lead, it was a compelling reason to push on at maximum wattage for the remaining 3 miles of flat/downhill trails.

Thrilled by this prospect (and with a bit of a smirk, thinking more races should handicap the first 5 runners, just to give others a sporting chance!), I legged it back down to the riverside trails. Jamie had fallen back a little and pretty soon I was aware of the Vegan dude reclaiming his rightful number one spot. I said well done as he went past and then at the bridge over the river (which was mortally slippy with damp green wood) I had to shout "RIGHT" as he went the wrong way: a tricky right hand turn which isn't very visible and looks like the route may go straight on. I have done this race enough times to know the route blindfold.

number 1

The question was now how many of the first 4 would get their places back. My mission was to keep that to a minimum, especially the m50s. Mary was standing near the river crossing having got back over the river with feet still dry. (Her account of the day here.) When I went past her I felt an explanation was only fair and tried to compress that into the shortest possible amount of words. I shouted "fake news, others sent wrong way". I didn't really catch her response as all I could hear was an old man breathing like an asthmatic on his death bed.

number 2

all these photos: thanks Mary

Nasher: determined

50s: Jamie and Rab


Just before the steps I heard Graham approach. He went past although I am pleased to say after he had a safe 10~15secs ahead he didn't really increase his lead and I chased him all the way to the line. The thought of Rab and Nick and Jamie, and the opportunity to finish ahead of them handed to me on a plate, kept me focussed and I did not let up one second. 

I was sorry not to see the old couple who in a couple of previous years sat in their large picture window at the end of the trail. I was pleased to scoot through East Linton without anyone catching up and racing me to the line. I finished something like 14 seconds behind Nasher, a result I won't be repeating any time soon. He ran half a mile further than I did! It could easily be the last time I beat his son Andrew who is quickly turning into a proper runner, very much in his dad's footsteps.


Unfortunately the prizewinning revealed Graham to be first 50, robbing me of MY bottle of wine. I did get a couple of beers for third overall. And the first 5, those who went the wrong way, they all got a beer by way of compensation, which was a popular move and rewarded Nick in his favourite medium. It might have been interesting to see if I could have caught Nick had he not gone wrong. He got a huge margin on the way up the hill but it left him a bit knackered (his interpretation not mine) and I might have been nearly on his heels by the time we got back to East Linton. We are not that far apart in races currently. I think he and Rab were a bit discouraged by the diversion; whereas Graham interpreted it as a challenge, to see if he could retake all the dropped places. Graham also won more booze for the team prize which was won by Carnethy (no surprise there!).

Big thanks to all who organised and marshalled and took photos. Excellent race! If the hill running community wish to adopt the first 5 run longer policy for all future events, I for one would not have a problem with this. Works wonders for one's percentage on the Scottish Hill Racing page! (102.9% ya beauty!).








el presidente doing the prizes in the rain

Celtman Hartree cycled there and back

another Porty!

I think he must have lost a bet?

Results here

No comments:

Post a Comment