Thursday 2 May 2019

ages ago


Ages since I did a blog. In summary I did lots of running and taking photos of butterflies then work came along and I have been too busy to post anything. So I am going to race through a few days in haste to catch up before another weekend. Thursday the 18th April and I was in the Botanics. I bumped into Ken there and a few birds and a couple of butterflies as well. Notably the comma that sits at the corner of the Chinese Garden. It seems to have a semi-permanent residence there, this being pointed out by Ken. 








intruder in the rockery

Way back then Whites were all the rage and I wandered the rockery watching them high up above the blossoming shrubs frusratingly out of reach for the most part. It wasn't the greatest day for photos and I made to leave, feeling a bit short-changed. On the way to the exit I saw some hoverflies around a tree and stopped to take photos. I bumped into a charming antipodean, (what's the euphemism for a little older than myself? anyway, that!) from Tasmania and she was also taking photos of any wildlife she came across. Thinking she might appreciate the Chinese Garden Comma I retraced my steps and sure enough we managed to tip-toe into the shrubs close enough to get some photos. 

While there, one of the robins that lives nearby, also made an appearance. I fished out some seeds and bread and as if we had been rehearsing all week, the little bird flew over and perched on my hand to eat the sunflower seeds, making for the 'best photos' of my new friend's day. I was particularly pleased with the robin, and defo owe it extra payment next time I am along there.







Chinese Garden Comma


Chinese Garden Robin

Newt in newt pond

Small White




Good Friday nearly lived up to its name. Mary and I went along to Gullane principally looking for Speckled Woods. But also shaking a few holly trees to see if any Holly Blues wanted to make an appearance. They did not. It was lovely hot sunny weather and since the HBs had emerged down south I thought they may be visible today. There were a couple of dots on the HB records map near Gullane and Aberlady so I persuaded Mary to adjust our route to check them out. There were a few fun things about but nothing blue coloured. It was a great day.




Lovely to see the Speckled Woods out in the woods North East of Gullane. While we were there we met the originators of the Tree Troll, 2 older ladies. It was the deceased husband of one of them who had started the tree trunk sculpture a few years back and it has gone through a number of incarnations over the years. We have regularly taken photos but never met those responsible. I was distracted by the Speckleds who sat on the leaf and pine needle litter making interesting photos nearly impossible. But lovely to see these regular brown friends who always flit about this part of the woods every year.





This shield bug took a liking to my shoe. It flew at me from a distance, landing on the shoe which was nearly the same colour. After posing for a few photos it flew off again.




Then there was this ichneumon, a parasitic wasp. I can imagine wasp hunters combing the coastline for this allegedly nocturnal beastie flapping their hands to chase away the Holly Blues, saying if only we could find one of these beautiful wasps.


met Mark on his fat bike


this peacock nearly upstaged by this shrub


another Speckled Wood near Marl Loch



Orange Tip refusing to land


Small Tortoiseshells looking for romance


We ran the usual circuit in reverse, returning to Gullane via the JMW and golf course. Just as it comes into Gullane there are a couple of ruined buildings and lots of nettles. I felt it was just the right environment for butterflies and sure enough several flew up as I searched. Mary returned to the car while I waded through the nettly undergrowth most failing to get any decent pics. There was a Comma but it was finished for the day and reluctant to do anything but sit with wings closed, in the huff.



I wondered what it would be like if Commas had their full names on rather than just a small C. After tampering with the photo I thought it looked a bit like spray paint vandalism which made me less pleased. There is quite enough of that in the real world without abusing the natural world.


Saturday 20th and someone had the bright idea to do another parkrun. I hate parkrun. I tried to put on a brave face. And the reward was coffee and cake and a butterfly hunt afterwards to Cammo. But it still hurt FAR TOO MUCH and I only did exactly the same time as last time a few weeks ago. And it was much nicer weather this time. And less wind. And I paced it better, being slightly hemmed in by the crowds (it really is getting stupidly overcrowded there and all sorts of slowish runners started ahead of me.) So should have run faster but didn't. The only slight compensation is my age graded time has remained about the same. Otherwise it totally sucks. Nice to see some of the old school Porties there though and thanks Mary for taking the next couple of photos.


photo Mary


photo Mary


Coffee and cake were good then we cycled to Cammo. Nick had a show to go to so left quite quickly. Mary seemed to be enjoying herself and the surroundings, but didn't have quite as much stamina as myself so she left after a bit too. There weren't quite the numbers of butterflies, nor species, that I'd hoped for. I spent quite a bit longer there but for very little reward. The orange Tips and Large Whites weren't landing and the Comma wasn't sitting with wings open. I think it was too sunny for ideal activity. I left knowing I had a couple of trips planned for the next 2 days that should be a bit more rewarding. More to follow!




Cammo


Cammo Comma




2 comments:

  1. Wondered where you had got too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Got to do a bit of work now and then Brian, saving up for butterfly adventures. And while weather a bit crappy might as well knuckle down!

    ReplyDelete