Wednesday 10 April 2019

peacock pollen party


The forecast had been rubbish for this week, so I was surprised when on Tuesday the sun showed just enough of itself to bring out a few hardy Peacocks. Not much else right enough (although others found more than I did) but it inspired me to jump on a bus up to the Hermitage to check out the area next to the Braid Burn that gets less traffic. Right enough there were a few Peacocks about, having a pollen party on the Japanese Butterbur which is flowering all around the stream.

Nothing happening here, though I felt there should be!



 





 

I had been hoping to see more Commas but there were just this elderly couple.







I ran home via the Pollock Halls. It has lots of interesting trees and plants and is well looked after. Love these fritillaries (below) and as I was wandering around taking pics of the blossom and flowers a tree creeper flew round a couple of the trees there. It seemed almost entirely oblivious of me really quite close by, although would creep round the other sides of boughs if I got too close.





amazing talons



I also had a quick scout round Dr Neil's Garden in Duddingston which surprisingly had no butterflies. But loads of beautiful plants laid out in spectacular fashion between trees and shrubs on the sloping ground above the loch. Always worth a look round.











No comments:

Post a Comment