Tuesday 4 December 2018

light fantastic


Four years ago in November the Botanics put on a nocturnal light show. It was a great success (blog here) and they did it this year too, but hooked it into the Christmas market. Like last time my Mum gathered the family round and we all went along on Sunday evening. 


The intervening years have not been kind to Mum - going from her mid- to late-80s - and she had to cover the 1.5 miles of paths through the gardens in a wheelchair. The forecast had looked dry but as Sunday approached it deteriorated and we spent most of the 90mins in steadily worsening drizzle. It wasn't a wash out however and Mum really enjoyed it. We all did.



I think they have been doing this event every year. It has certainly been refined since the first one and several walk-through areas like the canopy of fairy lights above, were really impressive and successful. A lot of work had gone into putting all the bespoke structures and lights in place. 4 years ago it was a bit hit-and-miss. It was a bit more experimental with a couple of set pieces and then a few spot-lights illuminating trees in between. This time they seemed to have found what works best and run with that. There were fewer damp squibs and many more varied lights and effects all throughout the gardens. There was much more to see and the route, which snaked around the perimeter of the gardens, was about twice the length of the one 4 years ago. (I wore my Suunto and measured it at about 1.5miles - last time was about 1km.) There was piped music/audio in several places playing both seasonal stuff and less hackneyed site specific ambient sounds. I thought it worked really well although they were obviously aiming it at the Family Christmas market, rather than being more artistic and experimental as it was 4 years ago.

One downside of this move towards popularity was that for the 5pm showing there were loads of kids and even toddlers and babies in pushchairs. I frequently found myself surrounded by crowds of banality and squawking kids waving balloons on sticks and getting in front of my camera. I know, Scrooge goes out at Christmas-time! What did I expect? And while I'm complaining there were at least 3 cabins of food and drink; selling stuff for folk who can't work out what time of day they have meals and forget to eat before they come out. I didn't even examine them to see what quality of junk food they were hawking as I was trying to ignore my internal grump who was shouting about fat kids and fatter adults not requiring more carry out food in un-ecologically sound containers and one-use plastic bottles. Because that might have spoiled the moment! I was pleased to see the kids in our group - my Mum's great-grandchildren! - behaved pretty well by comparison and didn't require food stops or inflated plastic globes on sticks. 




This was another great installation where you walked through ropes of hanging lights as they changed colour and intensity and had a dreamy ambient soundtrack. It was very close encounters and difficult to keep track of who you were with. I went back through looking for the rest of our party. Video worked better than stills to capture the magic, although the shouting children (MUM MY PHONE BATTERY HAS DIED etc.) slightly took the mystical edge off proceedings. Being very well attended there was a tendency for these set pieces to have a log jam of selfie-takers stuck at the front of the thing, not moving through quickly enough. I'm sure if you're anaesthetised to children; either by having some yourself, or maybe you work in a headless chicken factory, then you wouldn't find this as distracting as I do. It wasn't a big issue (well it was for me, but I don't like human beings en mass,) and I suspect the later showings would have fewer youngsters.










I was much amused to see they were playing with fire. However the live fire was safely fenced off; but close enough that you still got a whiff of paraffin and a waft of warm air. The fuel seemed to be soundly contained in standard tin cans (that sputtered and splashed when rain drops fell in) which hung from well made welded structures. Quality of build and materials was all very impressive. I did sculpture at art school and know how much work goes into constructing frames like this. It was all very professionally turned out and the next giant lamps - was that Lily of the Valley they were going for? - had a monumental simplicity about them that was really well done.


lily of the valley lamps?




Another set piece, the Palm House, was lit up internally as well as from outside, with projectors and spots. Normally I'd be trying to see how it was all done, to deconstruct the magic, but I found myself being swept along happily without looking to see whether there was a laptop under a polybag nearby controlling all the elements. I didn't care much for the seasonal red and green colourings of the Palm House but the sound and light stuff was very well co-ordinated.


Possibly the most impressive area of the night for me was this Cathedral of the Mandylights I think they called it. Really simple but really effective corridor of fairy lights. Between the heavy drizzle now falling and the crowds of selfie takers, jamming up the entrance way, I nearly gave up taking photos. 




The last big installation of lights was this series of square frames each tilted at an angle. The amount of work in the underlying frames so they self support and carried lights was huge and yet a good example of overthinking. It is a far more complex project than the corridor of fairy lights above and probably took twice the time to construct. I can imagine it looked amazing on paper but when they built it I can also imagine them saying we should have just had more corridors of fairy-lights.


Lots of good use was made of the locale. The trees in the botanics are amazing. But how often do we really notice trees? Put funny coloured lights underneath them in the dark and suddenly everyone is taking photos. The ones above looked like Japanese woodblock prints, (as the rain turned to steam, landing on the burning hot lights). 


There was a santa's grotto which had Mrs. Clause doing panto-like environmental stuff I think though I hurried past with my fingers in my ears, so couldn't be sure. And the trail ended at Inverleith House on the hill. This was also fairly tacky and christmas themed, though slickly done with quality projections. But as it was now nearly pelting down I retreated. 

It was so good I am tempted to go back for the latest possible, least popular showing (Wednesday 8pm?) in the hope it would be less well attended and better for taking photos. And not rainy. I may make enquires. Quite expensive (£16 plus £2 per transaction) but they have put a LOT of work into this spectacle and it is such a good venue. I feel I didn't get the best pics possible by a long shot - due to rain and crowds and being in a family group - pushing my Mum round in her chair! But she enjoyed it a lot and I could hear her humming the carols they were playing which was worth the entry fee alone.
Highly recommended!


1.5 miles

thanks to Anne for this photo
- Mum not looking her best!

No comments:

Post a Comment