Saturday 20 October 2018

blackheads


7th Oct.
I nearly forgot about this set of photos as work has been the commanding presence for a couple of weeks. The day after Dunbar 10 miler we went out for a pootle on the bikes, along to Cramond, with, as ever, a small bag of bread - no more than a couple of thick slices sawn into fingers. It wasn't the best of weather, rather overcast. However the sun nearly came out while we were talking to the black headed gulls at the estuary. 

I thought they might be a little more keen than last time I did this back in the Spring or Summer. However they were VERY keen. Usually I toss a couple of bits in the air and the signal goes out. This time I was clocked before the first crumb left my hand and very quickly there was a constant stream of gulls floating, barging and squawking to get in the queue for a snack. Obviously the colder weather gives them a focus.


unusual to get a bird's-mouth view



quite a number with fewer than 2 feet




Rainbow
photo: Mary


photo: Mary



I heard a dad saying to his kids that they would bring bread next time so I gave the kids the last of my stash. However neither managed to brave the sharp beaks and flapping wings, and let the gulls take the bread from their fingers. I was wearing gloves but I could still feel all that pecking for 30 mins afterwards. It was quite blustery and they tend to be less accurate with their stabbing pointy beaks in such weather. It is still a complete joy to be close to such grace, aerial agility and beauty. I nearly said privilege but then caught myself sounding like those tossers on social media, for whom everything, from baking a scone to running a bath is a privilege and ALWAYS done with PASSION. 😬


photo: Mary

nice to see this strip of wildflowers planted out on the otherwise drab foreshore



No comments:

Post a Comment