Monday 30 August 2021

gosford goose chase

 

16th July
Sometimes everything goes according to plan. This was not one of those times. No disasters, no punctures, but also not the way I hoped the day might pan out. The plan was to cycle to Gosford House. Last year (Aug 20th) I went to Gosford and against the odds found 2 Banded Demoiselles (very high tariff!) and lots of other good things. (Blog here.) I was a bit early this year and hadn't heard of any sightings but thought there's plenty of good stuff nearby if that falls through and it is a lovely place to spend a sunny day. Almost too sunny - but also windy. All the birds were flopping in the heat including the pen of hens near the entry point.



swans also conked out


and ducks

blue tailed damselfly

The Bandies last year were on the edge of the main pond and not where you'd expect - well hidden in the foliage round the lily pond. I checked and there was nothing except lots of damselflies. I should really return just in case they hadn't appeared at that point but have since. And there were plenty of at least 3 species of damselfly, blue tailed, common and azure, though they all look very similar from any distance. 


azure damselflies



common damselfly

azures



azure female

lily pond


Butterfly of the day was this comma, possibly an ab. Hutchinsoni, spotted high in a tree. Given the scarcity of good stuff I used maximum ninja stealth to slowly approach, but I only got 1 half-decent shot before it flew off and I was unable to see where it went despite an extensive search and rescue mission! I was trying (and perhaps failing) to accept today was not going to be a lucky day.

the lily pond

masonic mausoleum

meadow brown

It is always a tough challenge to take a decent shot of a meadow brown - given their modest appearance. So anything remotely attractive with them at the centre is something of a triumph. And a good test of skill, given they aren't the most willing to sit for photos.


I was obviously in need of spiritual sustenance by the time I left Gosford judging by the lunch I bought in Aberlady. A boost, a samosa and a can of LAGER! I seem to remember there were 2 samosas and neither had a label so it was lucky dip. Both were excellent as was the can of lager. I consumed them up at the tank trap blocks between Aberlady and Gullane Point, where Mary and I had spent 90 glorious mins photographing loads of butterflies after a swim and run recently. Alas the wind up there was just too strong and the butterflies were either absent or blowing about so much they were impossible to capture. By this time I was not surprised and after a short while retreated for a slog back into the headwind cycle home. Sometimes you have to know when to throw in the towel!

best part of the day!

skip the skippers



No comments:

Post a Comment