Monday 23 August 2021

fantastic friday

 

9th July
The plan was to run from North Berwick to Drem (or further if inclined). The weather was forecast good but turned out a bit haary with a cool sea mist putting a layer of tracing paper over an otherwise nearly perfect day. I was always under the impression it might brighten at any point so stayed fairly upbeat and saw lots of good things. 



I didn't take many photos for the first couple of miles out the station and along the beach. Then I was presented with the above - a heady mix of colours and shapes. How could the butterflies resist such beauty? I got the big camera out and shuffled around trying to flush out some insects. I think there was a Red Admiral which promptly disappeared over the horizon and then a DGF which was so busy extracting nectar from the thistle heads it didn't mind me getting in close for a couple of shots. There were quite a few little brown birds flying between perches but keeping their distance.









This small skipper was on these flowers when I approached - and it dived into the undergrowth; but after a short while was drawn back to the bright pink beauties and I got the shot. There were birds as well, stonechats or rock/meadow pipits. It was all very pleasant without being utterly gobsmacking. More just relaxing. Without the sunshine to overexcite the butterflies.






sups show the amount of sea mist between Fidra and Yellowcraigs


whitethroat

wildflower roof at Archerfields

some of the DGFs showing signs of aging 

others still fresh and lively










fresh looking meadow brown


six-spot burnet moth




I've probably said this before but the driftwood bench/patio behind the dunes; it seems to be harder to find on occasions. It is between the end of the beach below the propeller cone and Gullane but sometimes seems to be nearer Gullane or is just impossible to find. It could be like Brigadoon - that it only appears from time to time. It appeared today although not quite where I remembered it. There are a couple of thyme mattressed patches of butterfly rich flowers nearby and a garden of chinese privet, so I called past but all that I seem to have found was a yellow shell moth, a small skipper and some cinnabar caterpillars. No hardship though, and suited to the modest outlook of the day. 


cameras for the Scottish Open
or war of the worlds?



yellow shell moth








Then onto a patch of dune grassland that I couldn't give a name. It is particularly anonymous but I noticed some goodies when Nick Mary and myself ran by recently, so had a little mosey off the path and stirred up this fabulous female common blue. The females tend to hide in the long grass, doing the dishes and laying eggs, so are a rarer treat. And each one is more different than the uniform blue males. I spent ages following it from grass stalk to grass stalk. It would settle for a while but the wind was making everything sway back and forwards and it was tricky getting a decent shot. Being cool (the weather, not me) I offered a warm (sweaty?) hand as perch, and shelter from the wind, and it was readily accepted. However it makes a better photo in natural surroundings and I put it back on the end of a grass stalk after a couple of pics. There was also a male common blue about the same area but I don't think they met while I was there.










This little chap had expired. I am told they have to establish individual territories at this
time of the year and some don't make it alone. 



heron


quality ringlet
(hiding in the grass as usual)




Just in the dunes below Gullane car park overflow, coming into said area, this fine Admiral was floating around. It sat high in the sea buckthorn and lorded it over anyone who came past. I was intrigued to see it resting its body on the leaves and letting its legs dangle as it were. It flew a few circuits, landing in nearly the same place after each. And happy to sit for photos. But if I got too close, it would flip-flop-off and do another swooping circuit.







five spot burnet


I must have gone up the top of the hill at Gullane (above) but there was no sign of Holly Blues for another week or 2 yet. From there I ran back down into Gullane and out the John Muir Way through the golf course down towards Aberlady turning left at the bottom of the road and crossing the fields on trails back to Drem for the train home. 





I knew I had 2 or 3 miles to cover and looked at my watch. It was well after 5 and I hadn't checked the likely next train time. But remembered it as being 5.26 or something. I was pretty sure I wouldn't make it there before 5.30 without bursting myself. It just didn't seem to be the day for a 2 mile sprint and I accepted if I had to wait an hour there would be a buddleia bush just the other side of the platform that might keep me entertained for a bit. I kept a moderate pace and arrived just after 5.30 to find the next train was 5.36. Result. Perfect finish to very mellow and delightful day.


rash from thistles / grass / seeds

max speed due to leaving suunto on in train - oops!







No comments:

Post a Comment