Sunday 4 July 2021

nba corner


12-06-21
A gentle day of moseying around Holyrood and probably the first of the year's NBAs - northern brown argus. A delightful brown butterfly that probably flies below most people's radar as it is so tiny. But very attractive and although tricky to photograph, does not (always) fly off or duck into the undergrowth (every time) but will often thoughtfully perch on a prominence making it a popular character. Although when it does fly it can escape my eyesight by suddenly zig-zagging and disappearing from view right under my nose. It is therefore a good plan to take along another pair of eyes, preferably belonging to a younger person. In this case Unda was mainly responsible for seeing stuff and pointing Andrew and I towards it.

I had bumped into them on the way up the stonetrap ditch, a nettle and butterfly mix that just as you are cursing the rash on your shins, produces something so beautiful you forget the discomfort and crouch in the long grasses wiping away tears of hay fever, to focus on a small copper or burnet moth caterpillar. These caterpillars - of the narrow bordered 5 spot burnet moth - were spotted by Unda at the area directly below the Cat's Nick where yellow flowering kidney vetch or bird's foot trefoil make a small yellow flower garden that attracts NBAs and Blues. It was the first place I saw a Common Blue last year so I check it out every time I pass by. This year it has has not lived up to the hype and instead, back in recovery after a terrible year ruined by picnicking C19 refugees last year is NBA Corner!

5 spot burnet moth caterpillar



wandering damselfly a long way from water


small heath
these have been widespread and numerous this year


local pheasant, who likes to keep an eye on things

nba

The English have a Brown Argus, a very similar species but with black wing spots, where the NBA has white spots. Ours, without being unduly fervently nationalistic about it, are better by far. Although I haven't ever seen a BA. When fresh there is an oily blue sheen that can catch the sunlight on the upper wings of an NBA that is much prized among those who take its photo. I think they have relatively short life spans but their season is much extended by a staggered emergence that continues for all of June and beyond. And so the joy of finding a superb crisp and oily blue fresh one can easily extend into July. All you need is keen eyes and a good idea of where to look.







I don't remember tequila being a flavour you'd want to promote?

how big? this big! (really small!)


another caterpillar
shorter hair = 6 spot burnet moth


Initially there weren't that many NBAs out and several became known due to notches in wings. They didn't always hang out at the same places and seemed to go in search of new venues as more emerged from NBA corner. As I already clumsily mentioned, NBA Corner got a bad trampling last year during Covid. Lots of people were using the exercise laws to go picnicking in Holyrood and you would find a couple and their dog spread out on rugs all over the precious ground of NBA Corner. It was difficult not to feel they were unwelcome spoilers of the butterfly world albeit unaware. The reason they chose this 8m sq patch was similar to the butterflies. It gets a bit of wind shade from the surrounding gorse. So people collected there to rub sunscreen on shoulders and drink Corona beers, and the NBAs suffered. This year I am delighted to report they bounced back. Especially in light of their persecution at the hands of the rock lobsters below the crags on the high road. No sign of any there yet this year. It is not easy being a small brown butterfly.





Unda behind an NBA for scale.

flesh fly
attractive name, attractive habits!


that bluey sheen


likes to keep an eye on things


Ken and Andrew just below NBA corner

Then Ken turned up singing "butterfly party". It was good to see all the enthusiasts in the one place, although I must have been distracted by insects as I realised after I hadn't said 2 words to Ken who was finished for the day and heading out the park. I did hear him say there was nothing much at Hutton's Section. It slightly discouraged me but I had it in mind to visit there anyway. Which turned out to be a good idea as there was a very fresh common blue that must have arrived as Ken left. On the way I saw a face I recognised from facebook but hadn't met in real life. Sonia was through from the West and although late in the day I felt her efforts should be suitably rewarded. But if you don't know the park it would be easy to wander without bumping into the best it has to offer. I pointed her towards Andrew, Unda and Ken and said I heading up to the section. 


Sonia with a ruby tiger moth



I promptly found this blue beacon of joy and thought I'll just take a few record shots then alert the others of its whereabouts. Blues still being scarce and highly regarded at that point in the calendar. 






That done I began to retrace my steps until I met A&U coming up the slope. Ken had left and Sonia hadn't connected with them. I know Sonia has an enthusiasm for Blues (we all do!) so did a quick jog down to find her and bring her back up to near Hutton's. Of course we failed to find the blue and then failed to find the NBAs but at least Sonia will know where to look next visit. And we had a blether about all things butterfly related. Good to meet another enthusiast I'd only ever known online. 


Sonia found this red-necked footman moth

A&U in Hunter's Bog




the occupants of Hunter's Bog line up
snail? waterboatman, tadpole, dragonfly nymph


dragonfly when emerged


crow looks doubtful





No comments:

Post a Comment