Wednesday 7 July 2021

more of the same

 

13th June
Holyrood wanderings looking for insects and stuff to photograph. Quite a bit out and about but nothing spectacular. I headed up the ditch towards NBA corner and came across moths and NBAs. 







the usual suspects

I think the pheasants (well the bloke anyway) quite like human company; as long as you keep a 10m distance. He could sneak off into the undergrowth unseen, but prefers to hover around the perimeter of your vision. Maybe he is keeping an eye on me? I often throw him seeds but he is not THAT pheasant. 











from high up I spotted 3 other usual suspects


not that much apart from Small Torts on thyme at the crags



we must have gone for another shuftie at NBA corner




I had heard Ken and A&U had photoed 2 female blues in the quarry on the back of the crags so went for a wander. There was stuff to see - a lacewing and the coast guard helicopter and some moths but no sign of the cb females. It was to be a while before I managed to find one and only a couple all season. Just about as inexplicably rare as red admirals. 



small heath: super abundant this summer



moth, probably a carpet of some sort
only got this shot before it flew off

small copper


mother shipton





I popped out the other side of the quarry and started to wander home. I could hear some noise further up the crags but ignored it thinking it was noisy children, and then Mary appeared. She was out a run and had bumped into Ken who told her I was quarry bound. Mary had her camera with her so we ran off the hill (via Hunter's Bog) then stopped for I don't know why by a group of pigeons near the loch. I tempted them with seeds I had and they didn't mind us lying down on the grass to take photos. In fact they seemed delighted and it was quite good fun getting close.


photo: Mary



dragonfly nymph


leech














No comments:

Post a Comment