Monday 7 December 2020

otter in the water



23rd Nov
For ages now (a good few months) there has been chat about the otter(s) at Dunsapie Loch in Holyrood Park. I first saw it while doing laps on my birthday in October but pals had been recording it for a while by then. I think they found initially they could get the best photos and video if they went at dawn. However word was out it was getting habituated to humans and would appear at any time of the day. Better yet, it wasn't in the least shy and almost seemed to take interest in the humans watching and would swim right up close. This seemed to be the case back in October when it swam by us having a look and not being the least skittish.

So I pretty much always carry a camera when running. Holyrood is one of the more regular haunts because it is just much nicer than elsewhere in the city. So at some point, park, otter and camera were all destined to meet. 



This squirrel in Iona St was surprised when I stopped running to take its photo. Most of the locals won't pay much attention on their way to the pub after all. It was distinctly put out that I followed it for a bit and even forced it to take evasive action climbing a tree. 

A few weeks ago one (maybe even the same squirrel) was sauntering across the road when a large Rough Collie (breed like Lassie) jumped its lead and shot off after said squirrel which zipped up the tree Mary and I were passing. The dog, excited by bloodlust and the chance to shred something living, transferred its sights onto me, barking and trying to snap at my hands. I ended up doing a clenched fisted dance in a circle while shouting at the owner to grab its lead pronto. I did not say pronto. I was fired up by adrenaline given the sudden appearance of a large savage beast that was trying to bite me and shouted many very loud and sweary words at the owner. Unfortunately she was a mousy teen and possibly not the full shilling. And also she was near to tears given all the excitement, and her, possibly with a nail-varnish remover and shandy hangover. Or whatever the kids are huffing these days. For a moment she joined our dancing circle trying to catch the end of the lead. Eventually she managed to haul her mutt to heel and apologised profusely, nearly sobbing. I felt sorry for her but was still really amped from the adrenaline, near death experience and pre-run coffee. I shouted "apology accepted" but it still came out like an admonition more than a truce. 

I have been attacked 3 times recently by out of control dogs and I do not care for it one bit. I haven't been bitten yet but it is only a matter of time. I hear of runners being attacked regularly - I think runners gets dogs excited and the next stage is either joining in or maybe in confusion trying out a bite. If people can't control their dogs they shouldn't have them off the lead in a public space. 


shop window selfie


last of the autumnal leaves





I ran up through Hunter's Bog then over the shoulder. From that vantage point I could see a small group of folk gathered at one end of Dunsapie. I hoped that was due to the otter's presence. These days it is so famous that folk gather on the off chance it will appear. Mary and I ran past the other week and there was no sign of it, so we did another loop up to the top and back by which time it had materialised and in fact there were two, splashing about and posing for photos. Mostly there seems to be just the one. However there are stories of a small colony living round Duddingston Loch which provides much more cover for a large family of them, so maybe this one comes up the hill from Duddingston. And occasionally brings a friend. Apart from the birds, they will have the whole place and all the fish and invertebrates living in the pond to themselves. They are always chewing while on the surface; there seems no shortage of things to munch.



As I passed Mike he told me the otter was just there.


Historic Scotland have taken ownership of the otter
and are now instructing us how to behave.



At first the otter was some distance from the edge of the loch but it was slowly moving towards it. I positioned myself where I might get a decent shot if it continued round. And with the sun to my back. I took a few photos and then shot some video. When it only has its head out the water (ie most of the time) it is difficult to get much of an interesting shot with a small camera, although the weather was fairly bright. Video often captures more of the character of the beast. 

So I zoomed in and was busy videoing it when it came right over to where I was standing. If I had  taken a step forward and crouched down, I could have stroked it! It all happened so quickly I had trouble zooming out quick enough and fumbled 30 seconds of what should have been great close up shots. I was not expecting it to come over so quickly. And got caught out. And the zoom button on my camera is a bit sticky and difficult to operate while filming with gloves on. All schoolboy error stuff! I got some footage which is much better than the shots here but needs to be edited and due to wind roar I need to make some background music. Due to websites now managing copyright for music I will need to play some music and I haven't downloaded a DAW (Audacity) for the laptop and connected it to my keyboard. All a work in progress. And excuses for not posting the video yet. Watch this space. So many chores, so little time.







I was pleased to get a full and frank interview with the otter and all within 5 mins of turning up at Dunsapie. I chatted to a fellow otter-spotter then feeling I had comprehensively ticked the otter box ran off over the hill again. Then home.



Calton Hill looking impressive with a purple backcloth.







No comments:

Post a Comment