Wednesday 22 April 2020

out of the woods


20/03/20
Saltoun Big Wood. The forecast was reasonable to good. I wondered where might be best to have a run while having the chance to see a few butterflies. Saltoun Big Wood came up as a place of great natural beauty. The downside is the 17 mile cycle to get there. And same back. 



First thing of note was the small sign saying Salton Big Wood had been removed from the road end junction. And a few metres in was this formidable gate (not locked) suggesting no unauthorised vehicles. Normally on a week day there'd be a couple of cars parked half a mile on from here at the car park. That was empty and had a feeling of no longer being used. The rutted track seemed in better shape than I remembered and there seemed to be construction work going on in the properties near the car park. 

I wondered had the locals at the cottages decided to do larger scale work and while that was being undertaken, discourage the dog walkers and ramblers? I have googled it and can only see a random response under a facebook Big Wood group (pre-dating the lockdown) that the dog walkers and esp. those who dogwalk for a business had been leaving so much mess that somebody has decided to ban them. Or at least discourage them significantly. While I was there I passed a couple of folk walking, some with dogs. They had parked their cars on the triangle of grass at the "main" road junction. There is certainly not the air that you are welcome, as before.

spider skating on the water surface

I walked my bike round the edge of the first pond and hid it in the trees. It is easier to run and take photos than cycle. And the place is so small (1 mile square or thereabouts) that you see more and have the freedom to wander more on foot than with a bike. At first I couldn't see anything much in the way of toads, frogs or newts in the ponds but the next pond up the way was more populated.



I had had considerable success with butterflies on the devil's bit scabious last season (blog from 20th Sept 2019 here) on the wide path on the South side of the wood (heading up and East). Of course that was not in flower now. But the sun was out and it was (very nearly) baking hot. I think I was speaking out loud to the absent butterflies - why are you not out enjoying this lovely day? Up ahead I saw a solitary Peacock sunbathing. I moved in cautiously and got a couple of photos before it flew off. This was early into my day so I didn't bother to chase it thinking there will be plenty more. Nope! That was it for the trip. I really enjoyed being in such a pretty place but was disappointed the butterflies didn't put in more of an appearance. 

I walked that path about 3 or 4 times and many of the surrounding paths, but no further butterfly action. So after messing about at the ponds taking photos of toads and newts and a big mass of spawn (presumably toad, as I saw no frogs) I got my bike back out the bushes and cycled home.


where are you butterflies?








So a delightful place to spend time. But what about the discouraging signage and no-longer-in-use-car-park? I don't think I'd want to turn up in a car. Or with a dog. Definitely less welcoming than last visit, last year. But not an outright ban. And folk were still dogwalking there as of 20th March. Of course lockdown will have changed that. A lot of landowners are putting up geroffmyland signs, using the lockdown and lambing as reasons. Although the public are their own worst enemy the way they treat the countryside, from flytipping to badly disciplined dogs chasing livestock etc. youngsters leaving tents and bottles and bonfires. Not sure I will hurry back as it's a 17 mile cycle and will for the next while be off-limits anyway. Perhaps pop back at the other end of the Summer assuming freedom of movement will have resumed. Because last Sept was a near idyllic visit there and the butterflies were out in abundance. Again link here to many more photos than on this report.

at that mussel sculpture in Musselburgh on cycle home

nearly 38 miles covered, about 4 on foot

No comments:

Post a Comment