Thursday 30 April 2020

Bawsinch


13th April
I'd been hearing and seeing posts from local wildlife enthusiasts about Bawsinch Nature Reserve at Duddingston. You have to have a key from SWT to get in. Or go there as a guest of someone who has a key. Ken, a member, said he'd show me around, so we met (always at a good distance) and I spent a while wandering around in peaceful sunny bliss, only the very occasional other, and they were mostly birders who hang out at different places from the butterfly spotters. 


I wasn't fighting the butterflies off. There were quite a few and a good variety, but you could go 20 mins without taking a photo. There were supposed to be a couple of resident commas. The one I saw (on several occasions I think?), was easily spooked and difficult to get close to. When it took off it flew quickly and didn't land close by. 20 mins later it might be the same one you find next time passing. But was then off, deliberately flying swiftly over a bramble strewn morass making it impossible to follow. There was no shortage of Small Ts most of them next to the moat and wall that run the length of the Innocent Railway. You could hear the shouts and chat of passing cyclists and families.


I missed the shot of the day; a peacock on the blossom.
Too slow, it flew off, as I rummaged through the undergrowth beneath!




I didn't notice this aberration (more black on forewing than usual)
until it was pointed out to me later.



After describing the layout and likeliest haunts Ken and I spent most of the visit apart, doing our own thing. He returned to tell me he had found a speckled wood and if I followed at a distance he would point it out. It was still near to where he had found it and I got a couple of bad photos before it flew off. First one of the year. I have seen a couple more since outwith the reserve, but on both occasions failed to get photos. 


After another round with the comma and a couple more photos we called it a day. I joined the Scottish Wildlife Trust a while back with a view to getting access to this reserve. Hopefully I will get a key sometime before the Summer is over. It is a lovely place, more wild and woolly than the Botanics or Dr Neil's Garden. Great for getting away from busy areas and the bustle of the city for a quiet walk surrounded by nature. 






No comments:

Post a Comment