Tuesday 21 April 2020

Jeff's 7 stout hills


15/03/20. Jeff, runner and beer enthusisast, had organised a social run round the 7 Hills route with a proposed half pint of stout between each hill to celebrate St Patrick's Day. More actually to celebrate (black) beer, but you get the idea/excuse. I had done a long run the day before and felt a little under par and had a threatening injury, probably due to needing new shoes. So didn't think I'd manage the whole day out but went along for a few miles and to support this most worthy of causes!


I think 11 of us met at Calton Hill tyhen proceeded up the High Street to the Jolly Judge - a pub I'd not been in for about 30~35 years. A half pint of Guinness or similar is really quite nice but I rarely require more than one or 2 before the novelty wears off and I find them too bitter.





at the castle
Note the No Running, No Alcohol sign

green was the uniform of the day


This was the second pub and gave away silly hats. I wasn't intoxicated enough to find I could wear one. I  stopped drinking stout at 2 half pints and left it at that.



At the Clermiston Tower on Corstorphine Hill we stopped for some pieces of a cake type thing Jeff had made - it was properly delicious.








I was beginning to flag after Craiglockhart and although I went to the Braids Hotel with the crowd I didn't have a drink, settled up with Jeff and ran home. I think the previous day's miles were catching up and I wasn't very keen on more black beers. Thanks to Jeff for organising this important cultural exchange and it was great seeing everyone. I shall try and be in better shape for next year, but might opt for a fruity lager or cider alternative. 


Jeff, with Boris about to cancel going to the pub.

Jeff's report on the Carnethy website is here. As he says, it was the last day before going to pubs was cancelled by the virus. Not a bad way to spend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment