Friday, 2 October 2026

rinse and repeat

 

23-09-26 You can't possibly be putting up another trip to the Botanics where not very much happened just because you've got round to editing that comma footage shot the day before?
Exactly, let's do it! 😁



Same robin as yesterday. Maybe it remembered me and the food I gave it, but today, with very little prompting it took food from my hand. Which is always a thrill.


Akebia fruit!

Akebia fruit: inside, it contains a translucent, gelatinous white pulp filled with numerous small black seeds. The pulp is sweet with a soft, delicate flavor often compared to a mix of banana, passion fruit, or lychee. Now you know! (Courtesy of A.I.)



At the cafe for once I didn't photograph the sundial, instead this robin which was having a sunny sand bath directly underneath the sundial, until it noticed I was pointing the camera at it. It ducked into the undergrowth but I tempted it out with snacks and it posed v nicely for photos. Although it was competing for modelling work with 4 or more red admirals on the buddleia above.



RA hosting a wasp
(was not pleased and flapped a fair bit)










oh I did photo the sundial
at 15.06, so about 20mins slow today

run out of Reg Butler jokes

Mary coaxes a conker down from the trees



In that quiet spot near Campbell's Magnolia there were a number of unexplained conkers on the ground. Given no shells nearby we suspected foul play. Mary was taking a photo of this handsomely autumnal leaf so I barged in and stole her photo. 


Campbell's Magnolia sporting a drone fly, a bud 
and a hernia

still no butterflies

magpie



This specimen fungus Tricholomopsis rutilans is more commonly known as Plums and Custard. Now that is worth the price of admission alone. I have to confess I didn't know that at the time of taking the photo. It is a cracking name.

still no butterflies on the Cimicifuga Actaea
just this Eristalis tenax, drone fly


Mary found this sunbathing painted lady
exactly where she saw it last visit (in front of the Botanic Cottage)

better to put some leeks in front of the pumpkins for contrasting colours



I can't remember where I saw this less traditional grafitti on the journey back but I liked it. Someone going back to paint rather than the more traditional spray-cans. Maybe they were just opening a can carelessly or whipping the paint off the stirring stick, but it has a dynamism I enjoy. And I love duck egg blue. I have a flask in a similar shade I enjoyed carrying during the summer, and will be wearing a fleece this Winter also in roughly that shade. 

comma on the way home
(but from the day before)






No comments:

Post a Comment