Sunday 7 March 2021

new camera

 

Friday 26th Feb; a special day. The new camera arrives. I was going to click and collect from Curry's but it was quicker to get them to deliver (for a gratuity.) It was supposed to arrive before midday and actually arrived at 12.01. I raced to charge the battery and noticed in the manual it could take 2 hrs. It took 45mins to realise it might be the same battery as Mary's bridge camera. And since she was working I could take that as backup. So I had 1.5 batteries. I jumped on my bike and cycled to Cammo to photo the birds there if the fast-disappearing sun stayed out long enough. 



I took the cyclepath which was nearly empty so I could bomb along it at top speed without endangering push-chairs and dogwalkers with extending leads. I noticed a couple of young guys behind on thin wheeled road bikes and bet myself how long I could stay ahead of them without soaking my clothes (I had a change of jacket but didn't want to stand for an hour or more in wet base layers.) One of the guys turned off, the other eventually caught up and said something. I turned to see what he was saying but he was talking to someone else on a phone headset or something and apologised for distracting me; and then said "you're setting a fine pace by the way". Which given I was twice his age and on fat tyres (no, not round my middle) I enjoyed for the next few miles to Barnton and Cammo. In fact I'm still enjoying it now!



I did question if I was doing the right thing. The weather was swithering between snatches of sunshine and overcast bleak cold windy winter shite. I had taken extra gloves and hats but was a bit hacked off it was right at the end of the day in terms of birding action and the light was fast fading. I got out the camera. Panasonic Lumix FZ2000. It is a BEAST! The dimensions are only slightly larger than the FZ330 that Mary bought but it weighs more and just seems to be so much larger. I was so impressed with the FZ330 I did wonder if I might slightly regret the bigger and bulkier model. Given just how much fun the 330 is it was a real possibility. You feel you could chase butterflies over difficult ground, vaulting fences and ducking under bushes, with the 330. The 2000 is more of a consideration. And I think the law of dimishing returns suggests that although it was twice the price it is not twice the camera. However I think it was the right choice as it has a quality and power that is only a smidge off the standard of image you would get with a DSLR or mirrorless. And will do macro to x20 zoom (and then some) without an additional bag of lenses that cost a fortune. 


prince of darkness

So I have previously relied on compact cameras from the TZ (travel zoom) range. They have been great and while they can cover similar ground to bridge cameras there are many more deletes and blurry results. Or blocky pixelated shots you can't crop any further. So I'd have to take 3~5 shots with a compact to hope to get what maybe only takes 1 or 2 shots with the larger camera. If your subject is a landscape both give similar results. If it is a bird at a distance the bigger lens of the bridge camera is a far better weapon of choice. The compromise is carrying a heavier, bulkier more damageable instrument.

When buying the camera, I also ordered a camera bag. It wasn't easy to choose the right one online and I spent a while estimating which would be the best protection and actually fit, but snugly and not with shoogle-room. After reading about and comparing internal measurements of bags I got a Lowepro Adventura 30 which is the perfect size and holds the camera in place surrounded by foam-filled protection. This, in a back pack surrounded by spare jacket insulation has allowed me to run half marathon distance although it is far from quick to get the thing out and working, compared to the TZ100 which I run with in my hand. 



I was a bit concerned the first day out with new camera wasn't going to yield anything worthwhile. I'd had the 330 out in ideal lighting taking great photos and now I was going to take some duff pics on a heavier camera I'd paid twice as much for. However it was a joy to use. I quickly got used to the extra weight and size and didn't miss the further zoom of the 330. Due to the larger sensor the max zoom on the 2000 is actually less than the 330. This is similar to the TZ100 having a larger sensor and smaller zoom than the TZ70. Sensor size is a more reliable measurement of camera quality than pixel count these days. Quality over quantity. However my jury was still out. Especially in the crappy lighting I found myself. At some point the sun lit up the area a little more and a chaffinch held still for long enough to get 3 pics in a row as it turned its head to present a perfect pose. (First image at top of page.) I sighed with relief seeing the image in the viewfinder. Well, I got one decent photo, minimum.







Of course when you saw the photo above you'll have laughed and said to yourself that is remarkably similar to the photo (below) you posted last trip to Cammo in February when you took a photo of the nuthatch in the foreground and great tit in virtually exactly the same places. What are the chances? And now you're wondering if they are the same nuthatch and great tit? I haven't a scoobie! I doubt it. And when you put them side by side they aren't actually that similar. But nice coincidence, and well spotted! (Just been studying this and the nuthatch has a tiny notch in his eyebrow in both pics.)

Feb 16, 10 days previous







I had a wander round the walled garden area which was very pretty and had a carpet of snowdrops everywhere. There was more activity at the beehive than last visit, and I spent ages trying to get close ups of them flying, which was not easy as the camera thought I wanted to focus on the background. Prob should have used manual focus.



On the way out I was drawn to a cheeping in the trees and came across a feeder hung in the middle of nowhere on the fringes of a field, in among the trees. There was a 30 yard circle of birds visiting and retreating from the feeder in turns. There wasn't really a good vantage point to take pics but I managed to stand quite near without spooking them too much. I was surprised to see nuthatches among those visiting. 











I was very pleased to have come across this unexpected little oasis of birdlife and get a few images as the sun went down. The camera behaved like an old friend and seemed to know what I wanted to focus on, well most of the time. I cycled home with a lighter heart. And considerably slower. 



When I got to Iona Street the full moon had risen and was looking pretty good in the late afternoon sky. It was 5.30 so not particularly dark. I noticed a roosting pigeon in a nearby tree and thought that if I stood in the middle of the road I could place it in front of the moon. I thought it worked well, and rounded off a pretty decent day of pics. Given it was 2pm when I took the first one. I am pretty excited about the possibilities for this Summer and butterfly hunts. Spectacular camera!






2 comments:

  1. Well Pete you have certainly moved up in the world and you'll get great pleasure from the new camera! Hope you don't stick to just auto and play around with other settings. In time try shooting raw and get an after market post processing suite like light room or photoshop, you can have hours of fun getting the best out of your images.
    Looking forward to your butterfly shots and remember you don't have to chase them around, then weight is no problem, become a 'whisperer' like me and JW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brian,
    I use a couple of photo editing tools already to tweak pics (Camerabag and Photoshop elements) but don't have enough hard drive to shoot in RAW.
    Greatly looking forward to the new butterfly season!

    ReplyDelete