Wednesday 21 October 2020

dalmeny

 

26th Sept
I am a bigger fan of running in the Dalmeny Estate than Mary and consider a couple of spots really magical there. I love the mature trees and proximity to the beach although there is only a small section of beach I tend to run on. A good spread of butterflies too, at the right time of the year. This was not the right time though and I didn't expect to see anything more than an occasional speckled wood. But somehow Mary agreed that a change from Gullane was a good thing and so we drove to Cramond and parked as if going to do a parkrun.

While warming up near the flagpole I saw this graffiti and wondered how 4 colours were utilised in the same tool. I have googled it but can't find anything likely.



In order to get to Dalmeny we had to run up the side of the Almond from Cramond to the Cramond Brig. It was all quite pleasant though a little cool for the butterflies. Mary pointed out a red admiral high on the ivy "flowers" just before we crossed Cramond Brig and I hurriedly took a few photos.





parts were hectic busy, others deserted




As we passed one place I was sure it had so many of the necessary ingredients (dappled sunlight, nettles, brambles, trees, short grass, long grass etc) there must be speckleds nearby. I stopped to take a photo and one fell, just like a dead leaf, to settle on a sunlit patch. I didn't want to hang about too long and it wasn't that keen to be photographed so I hurried a couple of shots then ran to catch Mary in case we went different routes. 



Not that there is much route choice. It really is just one path along the front. We planned to get within sight of the bridges and then just turn around and return the same way.


perfection!


the spice girls

There were shafts of light at various places through the woods. Inevitably there would be gnats(?) dancing in the sunlight looking for all the world like tiny fairies when you can get the camera to focus on them and not the background. (Not easy.) In the absence of butterflies they can be fun to take pics of. Not a full strength alternative but something along the way to distract me before I get back on my toes and sprint to catch Mary again. 




About here we took some photos (might have eaten a sports bar) and turned around. There were lots of folk out walking such is the downside of going there at the weekends. But it was a pleasant enough day especially when the sun popped out between clouds. I kept expecting to see more butterflies than I actually did. Just where the path goes down to the beach there was a clearing and a patch of sunlight that had a small clan gathering of Speckleds. Even Mary got her camera out! But headed off before I was finished. I was hoping the romance between a couple would see some kind of conclusion but alas neither of the participants felt terribly inclined and after a bit of silent discussion went their separate ways.





Now here (above) is an excellent chance to compare male and female speckleds. I assume (hope!) they are m (left) and f  (right) which I deduced from the male chasing the female to this spot. Also 2 males are unlikely to sit that closely without a set to.

I had been led to believe the difference was in the size, shape and tonal differences in hind wing patches and spots. However these 2 seem nearly identical in colouration and patterning. Wing shape though is not identical the male's forewings are narrower. Body shape is perhaps the most distinct; the male being longer and narrower and the female being shorter and curvier. Just like people!. Females are often larger in the butterfly world but if you are not able to see them right up next to each other is it hard to keep a precise idea of size. These observations are only from observations and could be totally wrong! 





I was wearing a new pair of Speedgoats. Hoka are now on the fourth iteration. Unfortunately they peaked at SG3 are now into the declining arc of the parabola so many shoes follow. SG1 - ok (with big problems), SG2 very good, SG3 PERFECT, SG4 v good. Although the one bright light on the horizon is the return of the Speedgoat Evo, a lightweight racing version that may even have superceded the SG3. But keep that quiet as they disappeared off the shelves for the longest time. 

Anyway I was breaking in a pair of SG4s (the 3s never required breaking in) and felt I should at least try to get an action shot. Wearing them next to some appropriate trail or attractive foliage. I went for the most modest colourways. Hokas can occasionally stray into the primary palette in the most gaudy manner. I was pleased to get a pair of mostly grey ones. I also own the sunburst yellow/orange/red ones and the brazen colour (ironically) always took the shine off the day when I laced them up. I know some people like bright brash colours but I find them too in-your-face, similar to rap artists lyrics. Tiresome. 



more product shots at that wee estuary
where you get small coppers in summer



I was pleased with this spider shot. I took dozens because the focus was picking up on the more substantial branch (to which the web was attached so I couldn't move it) and very few shots caught the spider and web in focus. This isn't perfect but you should have seen all the rest. Tricky to see on site if I had got the shot or not. As always if unsure take a few more shots and delete later. 



should really have been a speckled or 2 here




This was a very frustrating butterfly opportunity. The RA landed on the path. I had no time, as a group were coming down the path and not going to stop for me to take a photo. It flew off over barbed wire into the next field. End of story. Guy going past says something like was I trying to photograph that?


a lovely fly


squawky kid

Just at the other side of the bridge the RA had waited all that time for us to return. Hurray! And there was a second one as well. It is difficult to know what they get out of the small spheres of tightly wrapped flower heads on the ivy, but they, and other insects, are really drawn to them. I took loads of pics fairly quickly while Mary waited for a bit then ran on.

with 2 friends on the fly


Mary heading off




12 miles in 2.5 hrs
great day out, lovely trails





No comments:

Post a Comment