Tuesday 20 August 2019

"walls" I scream



Saturday 17th August
Just the usual circuit around Gullane and Aberlady. It was too windy to expect any Holly Blue action although they have been spotted on windy days sitting on the ivy at the back of the public toilets on Goose Green Road. And it was too windy for most of the butterflies. Really just Walls, Meadow Browns and a stray Painted Lady or 2. I suspected the Painted Ladies were the offspring of the first migration back in the first week of June. Now just beginning to appear. Not sure if that tallies with gestation periods. 

wall brown on brown wall

climbing walls


Painted Lady


Meadow Brown

weekend Mary

bridge to enchantment


Marl Loch






brand new Lady

older blue

 

I didn't see the ancient Painted Lady in these flowers till later

small copper

raggedy blue


Yeah! That sunhat again!

I half expected to bump into Abbie. We email, and she said she was doing some community service with the (was it the) RSPB? She is always helping out with the Rangers or birders or botanists. I think it must have been the botanists not the RSPB as it was a plant survey. She mentioned little blue flowers we were to look out for but we didn't see anything matching her description. It was good to see folk out with wheelbarrows looking after the place. I think. I am far too lazy and self centred to follow other people's agenda and behave like a model citizen. 



I was hating the wind for chasing off the butterflies but Mary was enjoying it blowing away the cobwebs. I felt it was the nail in the coffin of the Summer and the end of the butterfly season. It, Summer, seems to have come and gone far too quickly and I am depressed about the 6 fallow months till Spring again. This is no way to behave. I know I should be finding joy in the Autumnal light and colours of the harvest fields and berries. And that makes me more depressed still. And all the butterflies are old and tattered. Fuck.














No comments:

Post a Comment