Friday 11 October 2024

s i x t y t w o !

 

On the 3rd October I turned 62 years old. Born in 1962. Kind of incredible and mundane in equal measure. Instead of pondering too much on the (limited) joys of getting older, because there is no acceptable alternative, let's just go for a run instead.



Mary asked where I would like to go for a birthday run. And instantly regretted it! She is not a huge fan of the NB circuit. She has not done it often and remembers the final 3 or 4 miles slogging back into NB along busy roads, some without pavements.

However, the night before I had a look on the Sunnto mapping website which allows you to plan trail runs and directs you towards quieter off-road diversions. Double checking it with Google maps to make sure I wasn't planning any obvious trespassing I reckoned I had found a route back across quieter fields and roads from Scoughall. Also by parking at the bottom of the Law we missed the first and last mile from the station making 16 rather than 18 miles. Initially Mary was sceptical but as we went on, it all turned out rather well.


Lesser garden spider, Metellina segmentata


the Law looking spectacular

It wasn't great weather when we set off so we didn't bother climbing the Law, thinking if it was sunny when we got back we'd get better views. The weather brightened and Mary took off her long sleeved top. The going was brisk and we bashed out the first few miles enthusiastically.






buzzard - there were several out and about today

re-joining the JMW after Balgone pond diversion


landing strip


young roe deer


chatting to the locals



as you'll see in the video (below) this area was busy with butterflies
Large white (above), small white and a couple of red admirals.

admiral # 1






admiral # 2

small white


Balgone mansionhouse


Newbyth pond
quick stop here for a snack/sandwich


Newbyth wood

a few speckleds about


Binning Wood

There are plenty different tracks and trails through Binning Wood. One goes past where my dad is buried. We didn't go visit him today but did wish him a spiritual hi-de-hi! We were hoping he would produce some marvel - a crowd of butterflies or dancing birds - by way of saying hello but nothing much appeared and none of it attributable to the afterlife. It was very pleasant though and I had to limit the amount of video I was tempted to shoot as a result. I was trying to get a flavour of all the different terrains and surroundings we pass through.



I actually carried 3 cameras! All these photos were taken with the compact I carried in my hand. The video I shot with the DJI Pocket which I ran with in the other hand much of the way. In my backpack was my old bridge camera in case we came across something so marvelous it required decent equipment. Twice I have been out with it as back-up camera and not taken it out. It took zero photos again today! It is not heavy though and I hardly noticed the weight in the back pack.

Reggie Perrin flip flops

Tyninghame - one of the best beaches in Scotland


the Bass Rock - one of the best rocks in Scotland!






Mary's foot went through the cornice as she climbed up this sandy step. She fell over although there was some additional exaggerated antics and histrionic melodrama piled on too.




From the Peffer Burn we ran up the concrete road to the A198 turned right for a hundred yards or so then turned left through the field. There is a dog walkers trail that cuts over North of Whitekirk Hill to Gleghornie Cottages. This was the new section and although the initial path was a bit tussocky for running as soon as we reached the cottages we were running again on quiet roads which took us West to rejoin the JMW. 





Basic camera mistake above - never put your beloved on the edge of a wide shot - they will also end up looking unflatteringly wide. There were a few roads we hadn't been on before with little or no traffic. Just a matter of keeping going. Then we realised where we were and joined the JMW for the last mile and a half. It was a bonus stopping at the Law car park instead of having another mile down to the station.16 miles was plenty and felt less of a chore than the previous route of 18 miles. We were even still smiling when we got back to the car park, although the weather didn't merit an ascent up to the summit. Oh dear never mind, maybe next time!









I had seen several common darters take off from sunny spots - around Balgone and elsewhere, but hadn't managed to get any photos, until this one, which was the last one of the day and had been sunbathing along the wall before the Law and quarry pond. When it landed again I got a couple of shots. Nice to at least get a record shot and mark what might be the final odonata of the year. The weather has gone a bit colder in the last few days and we may have seen the last of the butterflies as well.

Work on the shower-room is approaching completion. Which means we will be able to wash in luxury by the end of the week (edit: 2 times in the new shower already!) rather than in a bucket by the kitchen sink. Four months of washing like impoverished Victorians. We did this one Winter about 24 years ago and it makes you really appreciate the return to contemporary washing habits.

I feel I should be tying in some wise words about age, maturity and good habits but haven't yet stumbled across any magic potion that makes my sixties more enjoyable than my fifties which were probably my favourite decade so far. Generally I have fewer worries (and love being retired), but am a little concerned about deterioration and the slippery slope, which seems more slippery and more sloped than ever before. I think it is a very good thing coach Mary is back on the case and my running is having a mojo inserted whether I like it or not. Mostly I like it.

Doing less work makes me feel less inclined to do work, which includes physical endeavor to an extent. Gone are the days of heading out for a 30miler on a whim. But will they return? How much do I want it? That is possibly the important question. I feel maybe this could be the decade I do more creative things and perhaps less ambitious physical projects, but I'd like to claw back a bit of fitness to ward off  the dude in the cloak with the scythe. But the only immediate thing on the horizon is perhaps considering a trip abroad sometime soon, to offset the onset of Winter, in search of scenery, sunshine and things to photograph. There have been discussions about getting new rucksacks to carry things comfortably over distances (dusty caminos) in far off lands. That, I could get excited about.

we both really enjoyed the day out
and had huge pizzas, beer and wine to celebrate, which felt like a win

15.88 miles in 3hrs45

video shot on DJI Pocket

No comments:

Post a Comment